www.theclaretandbluearmy.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aston Villa V Rotherham United: Saturday 13th August 15:00

+2
Chris Harte
Sandie
6 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Predictions for the game against Rotherham

Aston Villa V Rotherham United: Saturday 13th August 15:00 I_vote_lcap67%Aston Villa V Rotherham United: Saturday 13th August 15:00 Empty 67% 
[ 2 ]
Aston Villa V Rotherham United: Saturday 13th August 15:00 I_vote_lcap0%Aston Villa V Rotherham United: Saturday 13th August 15:00 Empty 0% 
[ 0 ]
Aston Villa V Rotherham United: Saturday 13th August 15:00 I_vote_lcap33%Aston Villa V Rotherham United: Saturday 13th August 15:00 Empty 33% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 3

Aston Villa V Rotherham United: Saturday 13th August 15:00 Empty Aston Villa V Rotherham United: Saturday 13th August 15:00

Post by Sandie Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:34 am

Can we have a winning start at home and get over the Luton Town debacle?
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Aston Villa V Rotherham United: Saturday 13th August 15:00 Empty Re: Aston Villa V Rotherham United: Saturday 13th August 15:00

Post by Chris Harte Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:37 am

The last time we was in this division we had a major issue at home.

Part of the problem was many clubs saw an away fixture at Villa Park (back then a regular FA Semi-Final venue and home of the European champions of five years previous) as being like a cup final, so visiting teams were often fired up. A bit like Luton were the other night.

Hopefully, the presence of The People's Republic of Geordieland FC will take some of that pressure off us in that respect, although its not been so long since they were at that level themselves.

I'm hoping for a win. If we play like we did at (not on) Wednesday, and Ayew and McCormick can gel then we'll get a win. However, I have nagging doubts...

Chris Harte
Private
Private

Back to top Go down

Aston Villa V Rotherham United: Saturday 13th August 15:00 Empty Re: Aston Villa V Rotherham United: Saturday 13th August 15:00

Post by villabromsgrove Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:44 am

Can these players win a match? We should beat Rotherham, but then we should have beaten Luton.

There was an illuminating comment by a Luton player after the match. He said they just "stuck to their game plan". When asked what that was he said "we were told before the game that Villa could not win a match, all we had to do was concentrate on scoring against them, and if we did they would collapse". How damning is that observation from a league two team?

I'm going for a win against the evidence of my own eyes, because another loss would be totally depressing!
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:43 am

I'm going to let my heart rule my head and say we will win. Hopefully a return to our more regular lineup will cut out some of the unforced defensive errors we saw on Wednesday and the inclusion of Elphick will mean the players adopt a more professional attitude. Luton will have done our confidence no good but we will never be able to play with confidence until we start winning games.
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by GadgetMan Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:08 pm

Alright chaps Aston Villa V Rotherham United: Saturday 13th August 15:00 4288271622

A solid 2-0 home win to blow away some of the black clouds that still reside over our great club.

Ayew and McCormack to score. Do we know if James Chester is eligible to play? If so I'd stick him straight in, can't bear the idea of Richards in there. It says a lot that I'd prefer Baker (he's a bit soft isn't he? took a bang and taken off, yet Tommy just got on with it) UTV
GadgetMan
GadgetMan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:30 pm

I believe Chester will be eligible for tomorrow.

I suggested in another thread that it might see us go to a back three or back five which would make up for the defensive deficiencies of our full/wing backs.
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by GadgetMan Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:38 pm

Sandie wrote:I believe Chester will be eligible for tomorrow.

I suggested in another thread that it might see us go to a back three or back five which would make up for the defensive deficiencies of our full/wing backs.

My only reservation in that would be that RDM hasn't tried it once in Pre season. I don't know about his other clubs though or Clarke's/Bond's expertise with 5 at the back. The biggest challenge that thankfully RDM has noticed, is 1. playing as a team,be it defending as a unit or attacking and 2. Changing the mentality, new players will definitely help with this. So be it a back 4 or 5 I'd throw Chester in. Him in the same team as Elphick will significantly alter the makeup and character of the defence (hopefully haha)
GadgetMan
GadgetMan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim Villan Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:56 am

Im not sure what to expect from today's game, hopefully the luton match is just a blip and with the addition of chester and our starting X1 improving by the week, then a victory is surely on the cards sooner rather than later. Hopefully we can get a much needed win today but it won't just present itself, Dimateo needs to drill it into the players that a match is 90 mins + and and concentration, effort and discipline is required for the duration. If I was RDM I would be picking players who were disciplined and could carry out instructions, rather than who I felt had the most talent. Don't ask me who those players are Very Happy
Jim Villan
Jim Villan
Private
Private

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim Villan Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:14 am

Gollini
Okore                      Elphick                                  Chester                Baker

Green                            Tshbola             Gardner           Amavi

Gustede                McCormack
Jim Villan
Jim Villan
Private
Private

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim Villan Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:31 am

Reasoning behind my starting X1:

Ive picked the strongest defence possible that could be nice and disciplined and not leave us exposed, back to basics in defending. Getting rid of the players who constantly vacate their positions.

Midfield isn't great I admit, this needs strengthening with at least two first teamers in the coming weeks, but by playing wingers it will at least help us to create more chances and if Amavi and Green go out with the instruction to Hug the touchline and when the other winger goes forward then the other tucks in it could help to get us on the front foot and help to pin back the opposition fullbacks. From everything we've seen from Amavi, his strengths clearly lie in attacking areas, at this point in time we don't need another defender who is prone to errors and getting out of position. Amavi played as a winger, will send in dangerous balls for Gusted to feed off and hopefully green can do the same.

Gestde and McCormack  - Dropping Ayew is something that I know is probably controversial especially when Gustede has been so anonymous so far. However I think McCormack would benefit from playing off Gustede as he has always been most effective playing off a big man. Ayew is a good player but so far in his Villa career he hasn't shown that he can link with midfield or his strike partner. He has talent but i would sacrifice this today in order to benefit the shape and balance out the side.  I dont think RDM will pick this side, instead we will probably see the likes of Westward Grealish Bacuna (tried and tested failures) All 3 off these players have been massively ineffective and don't perform effectively in whatever their roles are supposed to be? within the Villa side.
Jim Villan
Jim Villan
Private
Private

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:57 am

I've thought about your team selection for a few minutes Jim, and I've gone from shaking my head to actually understanding and approving what you've tried to do. A strong old fashioned back line and a midfield with two able crossers of the ball, with the big man up front and a fox in the box. You've addressed the huge problem of service, supply, assists etc. rather than looking at just NAMES.

I'm sure Di Matteo will pick Ayew to start, but your starting eleven makes a lot of sense. It's a way to kick start a dysfunctional team.

Aston Villa V Rotherham United: Saturday 13th August 15:00 4288271622
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:48 am

That wouldn't be the side I'd pick but I totally get the logic behind it (which I don't with teams with the likes of Bacuna in them). I think we're already at the point that a win, however it is achieved, will do us the power of good and go so much further than three points. We need that boost of confidence to both the fans and players and something to build on. A tough defence like Jim's could go a long way towatrds allowing us to grind out a result against someone.

I also have my doubts that Ayew and McCormack can play well together but am also rapidly losing my faith in Gestede.
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:49 am

I'm fired up today, COME ON YOU LIONS!
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:01 pm

I've spent more time thinking about my fantasy league team than Villa this morning .... I shouldn't admit that should I? Aston Villa V Rotherham United: Saturday 13th August 15:00 3640643743
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:47 pm

https://twitter.com/AVFCOfficial

The team for today on the AVFC twitter page.

Adama on the bench with Amavi.
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next