www.theclaretandbluearmy.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wigan V Aston Villa: Saturday 18th March 15:00

3 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

What will happen against the Latics?

Wigan V Aston Villa: Saturday 18th March 15:00 - Page 3 I_vote_lcap100%Wigan V Aston Villa: Saturday 18th March 15:00 - Page 3 Empty 100% 
[ 1 ]
Wigan V Aston Villa: Saturday 18th March 15:00 - Page 3 I_vote_lcap0%Wigan V Aston Villa: Saturday 18th March 15:00 - Page 3 Empty 0% 
[ 0 ]
Wigan V Aston Villa: Saturday 18th March 15:00 - Page 3 I_vote_lcap0%Wigan V Aston Villa: Saturday 18th March 15:00 - Page 3 Empty 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 1

Wigan V Aston Villa: Saturday 18th March 15:00 - Page 3 Empty Re: Wigan V Aston Villa: Saturday 18th March 15:00

Post by villabromsgrove Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:44 am

It's getting better Sandie in terms of results, and the defence is working better as a unit, but from the midfield forward we are still very disjointed. The difference is that against poorer teams we're starting to convert a couple of previously wasted chances. How will we do against better teams if we don't improve our passing and ball retention? Time will tell I suppose.
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Wigan V Aston Villa: Saturday 18th March 15:00 - Page 3 Empty Re: Wigan V Aston Villa: Saturday 18th March 15:00

Post by Sandie Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:57 pm

We've effectively bought an all new midfield in January with players like Lansbury, Hourihane and Bjarnason all coming in. They've needed time to settle in and with injuries we've ended up fielding poorer ball players in midfield like Gardner (who is terrible for giving the ball away) and the out of position fullbacks. We should hope see us improve in that area in the coming weeks as like I've said we've struggled with various issues in the midfield area under Bruce. First we suffered from RDM's neglect of that area in the summer and then, moving forward, we had new players struggling to gel and then injuries.
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:23 pm

I wonder what would have happened, and where we'd be right now if we'd paid a wedge of cash and given the job to David Wagner instead of Steve Bruce?

I obviously don't know the answer, and one side of my brain is saying "I'm pretty damned happy with our permanent January signings". The other side of my brain is saying "This should be a project and it's not. We've started winning which is great, but I suspect this progress has a fairly low ceiling".

I'm prepared for the long haul with Steve Bruce and I hope he succeeds with his Villa team, but that doesn't stop me worrying and wondering.
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:52 pm

villabromsgrove wrote:I wonder what would have happened, and where we'd be right now if we'd paid a wedge of cash and given the job to David Wagner instead of Steve Bruce?

He'd never have came, he turned down Wolfsburg and that's a damn site better job than Villa.
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:15 pm

I assume that Dr T will back Bruce this summer, and SB has a successful track record of gaining promotion from this division. I worry though that football in the Championship is changing, so in order to beat the best half dozen teams you have to outplay them. Are we going to become more positive in our approach to games, or will we continue to try to keep clean sheets and hope to snatch goals from set pieces?
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:33 pm

I'm not sure there are that many progressive sides at the top end of the Championship other than Huddersfield. I also think that with the players at our disposal we can be capable of more than we have done so far. That's not just down to the manager when you consider players taking the time to step up and the injuries we've suffered.
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:03 pm

Our poor start under Di Matteo and our poor January, obviously wrote off this season. The problem we have is that while it is mathematically possible to get enough points to join the top six (if all clubs involved have stinkers in the next eight matches) we don't have the opportunity to plan and play with a real freedom with next season in mind.

villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:33 pm

I agree that we have a great opportunity to start preparing for next season, but a big part of that is not ripping everything up and starting again which is what we have kept doing season after season, manager after manager in recent times.
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:36 pm

I know that we've lacked continuity over the past few seasons, and I see the sense in evolution instead of revolution, but I continue to ask myself whether our immediate plan is capable of delivering the results Dr T wants? (demands?)
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:08 pm

We've been crap for years, we're needing stable foundations before we try doing anything to catapault us into the stratosphere. Is Bruce the man to build those foundations? Time will tell, and that means as far as I'm concerned unless things go badly wrong he gets another season.
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:35 pm

Dr T says that he expects a special season next season. We have the basis of a good Championship team and we need to add three or four quality additions including an experienced keeper. If we do make the right signings as I expect us to under Steve Round's guidance, we will have one of the best match day squads in the division. Then it all depends on getting the best out of these players consistently.
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:00 pm

Something that concerns me is that if Bruce does fail it will be a second failed manager under this administration and it would be a manager that the guru Round was very keen on at the start. This is probably a big factor in how Bruce's job is very, very safe.
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:21 pm

There is an almost closed circle of managers and coaches that are considered for jobs in the English game. I think it's time to break the circle and bring in forward thinkers, rather than keep reaching back to people who've "been there done it and got the tee shirt".
I hope Bruce succeeds with Villa, but if he does it will be by using "same old, same old" methods, and that won't secure our future in the upper reaches of the Premier League. The game has moved on, and as yet we haven't shown much evidence that we are prepared to adapt to move with the times. The old ways may be just enough to get us promoted next season if we're lucky, but will they take us to the next level?

I don't think so.
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:34 pm

villabromsgrove wrote:There is an almost closed circle of managers and coaches that are considered for jobs in the English game. I think it's time to break the circle and bring in forward thinkers, rather than keep reaching back to people who've "been there done it and got the tee shirt".

Like Remi Garde?
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:53 pm

You've got me there! Wigan V Aston Villa: Saturday 18th March 15:00 - Page 3 3640643743
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next