www.theclaretandbluearmy.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AVFC Players senior through to U21s and beyond

3 posters

Page 7 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

AVFC Players senior through to U21s and beyond - Page 7 Empty Re: AVFC Players senior through to U21s and beyond

Post by Sandie Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:13 pm

Jim Villan wrote:I don't think it is the playing style that DR T was referring to, as he confirmed in a separate tweet that he was adamant that tactically we hadn't tried to intentionally defend a 1-0 lead. I think he is referring to the lack of mental toughness,  clearly being the better side but not being mentally strong enough to go on to win games in a comfortable manner. Included in that is being able to convert chances when he says they felt like they addressed the issues, he would be referring to the fact that bringing players such as Terry and Whelan they would have brought much more focus to the group so that they shouldn't have long periods where they effectively stop playing. Between 35 and 69 mins, we didn't have a single shot on target. How can that be when we had dominated so much in the first half? He would have felt like I would, that with Terry in the side that Terry's influence would guard against us not caving in once a team has a few attacks against us.

Something that struck me was that it was James Chester who was the most vocal of our players giving instruction and cajoling his team mates. He had a really good game overall, I should add, making some really impressive blocks. Some of our players just seem to stop playing after a while. Lansbury was great in the first half but did nothing subsequently. Is that a consequence of tactics or just down to particular players?

Whilst the Doctor has seemingly been raising questions about the players' mentality, Bruce has come out today and said the players are physically and mentally ready for the challenge ahead. That to me suggests that it's definitely on the minds of people at the club. Over the past season or so we've brought in supposed strong characters, a number of players who have been captains at their previous clubs. Yet, this still seems to be an issue, our attempts to buy a winning mentality still failing.
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

AVFC Players senior through to U21s and beyond - Page 7 Empty Re: AVFC Players senior through to U21s and beyond

Post by Jim Villan Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:47 pm

I think the responsibility falls with the group. Undoubtedly Bruce is a safety first type of manager and whether he is pro-actively encouraging the team to sit on leads or not, it doesn't really matter as nothing changes the fact that we find it impossible to build upon a lead so, from that regard he is failing whether it's intentional or not. The players have to take responsibility also, our ability or lack of, to be able to stick the bloody ball in the net ultimately cost RDM his job. On Sunday we undoubtedly had much better chances than Hull. The Gabby one on one, the Hogan 6 yard flicked chance in the 6-yard box, the Lansbury skewed close range effort and the Green header were guilt edge chances. Maybe the Hogan chance was the most difficult of the 4, however, the other 3 were nailed on chances and at least one of those chances should have found the back of the net. This is nothing to do with Bruce if the players carry on squandering guilt edge chances. over the coming games than confidence will ebb away from this team very quickly just like last year.  That to me is where the mental pressure is hurting us the most.  The players are choking when they get an opportunity and this needs to change.

Last edited by Jim Villan on Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jim Villan
Jim Villan
Private
Private

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:09 pm

I said it to someone at the game on Saturday, but Hogan really needs a goal. That will build his confidence and he'll start taking chances. Hasn't really happened for him yet between injuries and poor team performances and he has the burden of a £12million fee weighing on him. Like you, I'm not really sure that Lansbury not being able to sustain a performance for 90 minutes is Bruce's fault (well, I suppose he is one of his signings...) but there were players I was saying the same things about at the same point last season.
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim Villan Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:13 pm

I Agree Sandie, Hogan will really kick on, once he gets a goal.  let's hope it's sooner rather than later. I thought he was fantastic in the first half against Hull. He could be a really decent player for us but, he needs to get a few goals under his belt, before Kodja returns, otherwise he might find his game time limited.
Jim Villan
Jim Villan
Private
Private

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:13 pm

We need to settle on our first choice midfield, preferably one with assists in it and play it regularly. Once the players know without thinking what their regular playing partners are going to do, Hogan will begin to thrive.
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim Villan Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:33 pm

Totally agree VB we haven't had a quality, settled, midfield since the MON era and that for me has been the single biggest on field reason we have struggled so badly.
Jim Villan
Jim Villan
Private
Private

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:20 pm

We'll be changing again tonight, when what we really need to do is keep playing the right eleven players together regardless of it being a cup match. We need to gel and nobody needs a rest after one match!
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:38 pm

Exactly, I'd be disappointed to see us field a weakened team for that reason.
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:20 pm

https://www.avfc.co.uk/News/2017/08/10/transfer-news-amavi-joins-marseille

Amavi has finally gone on loan to Marseilles. We aren't doing very well at selling players are we.
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:37 pm

We're looking sparse down the left. Especially with Green looking like he might need a spell out of the to firing line.
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:09 pm

Five right backs and one left back .... that's poor planning. Baker could have covered left back as and when necessary but Samba definitely can't. I don't think we've thought this out thoroughly.
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:53 pm

Gary Gardner has signed for Forest on a three year deal. Wish him all the best with his future career.
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:17 pm

G.G has long been a favourite of mine. I'm pleased he's got the chance to play regular football and wish him well. I'm sure he would be honest enough to admit that he has never quite grasped the chances that he's occasionally been handed, but his two cruciate injuries will always leave me pondering what may have been if he'd been more fortunate? Best of luck for the future Gary.
AVFC Players senior through to U21s and beyond - Page 7 4288271622
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:11 pm

https://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/2017/august/bacuna-joins-the-royals/

Bacuna has finally gone. It's probably best for both him and Villa. Thanks for your effort Leandro, good luck in the future.
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:12 pm

Sandie, that GG announcement seems to have been premature, Very Happy
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next