www.theclaretandbluearmy.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which goalie?

+2
Jim Villan
Ivan Kraschinsky
6 posters

Go down

Which goalie? Empty Which goalie?

Post by Ivan Kraschinsky Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:51 pm

So guys who would you have in goal this weekend? My head spins thinking of who should start in goal. I dont have much confidence in any of our choices so what do you think...stick or twist??

Ivan Kraschinsky
Private
Private

Back to top Go down

Which goalie? Empty Re: Which goalie?

Post by Sandie Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:02 pm

I'm not sure. Dropping Gollini might shatter his confidence and, whilst I've always rated Jed Steer, I don't think RDM would pick him. Bunn is okay but always looks like he has a clanger in him (much like Gollini has, one could argue).
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Kraschinsky Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:07 pm

Sandie wrote:I'm not sure. Dropping Gollini might shatter his confidence and, whilst I've always rated Jed Steer, I don't think RDM would pick him. Bunn is okay but always looks like he has a clanger in him (much like Gollini has, one could argue).

So far i have been disapointed with Gollini but if he is rdm chosen one then i agree that to drop him will be the wrong thing to do. I would go with Gollini and hope for the best .

Ivan Kraschinsky
Private
Private

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim Villan Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:01 am

I Would go with Gollini, one more Rickett that cost us points in th next few games and I would make a change.
Jim Villan
Jim Villan
Private
Private

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:12 pm

I agree it is a balancing act between giving a player a chance to get out on a difficult time or dropping an error-prone player. I think a couple of good games might hopefully dispel the jitters of the player and the fans. Any more errors and he simply has to be dropped.
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Harte Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:20 pm

Stick for now.

Chris Harte
Private
Private

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:12 pm

I think there are two areas of the team that will cost us points. Goalkeeper and Centre Midfield. If centre mid was functioning properly we could afford the odd mistakes that Gollini appears prone to.

Until we sort our midfield we can't expect to outscore the opposition, because of our lack of supply and assists. This puts Gollini under more pressure than is necessary.

I'm sure Di Matteo will continue with Gollini, because they wont want to admit that an inexperienced 21 year old with a couple of obvious flaws, was the wrong guy to bring in for this very important season.
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:54 pm

And keeping faith in the wrong players is the kind of thing that ultimately costs a manager his job. We were saying the other day that we wouldn't expect the Doctor to be patient with people who fail to meet targets. That said, I would expect to see Gollini settle down and eventually justify faith in him.
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:46 am

If Gollini continues to make basic errors then Steer would have to come in. Bunn does not inspire me with any confidence at all.
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:42 pm

I agree. I just wonder what the problem is with Steer? He's well out of the picture but has more recent and positive Championship experience than the two ahead of him. I think he's a good keeper. He got good reviews from Huddersfield and has looked sound on the occassion I've seen him play for us. Why's he not getting talked about when there's an inexperienced (and possibly error prone) guy and a career number 2 in front of him?
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:25 am

Keepers need to be at least a minimum of 6ft 3 ins (preferably bigger) these days to be totally effective with modern balls that swing and move at real pace.

Gollini is 6 ft 2ins, Steer 6ft 2ins and Bunn 6ft 0ins. I listened to Bob Wilson recently saying that even the lack of a couple of inches of reach can cause the loss of a number of points over a season.

We clearly haven't moved with the changes in goalkeeping requirements at Villa.
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by South London Villan Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:55 am

I am with Sandie on this what is going on with Steer?

Has anyone seen him play?
South London Villan
South London Villan
Private
Private

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:03 pm

I've seen him play a couple of times live for us. In the cup game against Spurs a few years he actually kept the score down (we lost 4-0, IIRC, it was the game where Helenius had his shorts pulled down) and wasn't to blame for any of goals. Also saw him play in the last home game of the season before last against Burnley. We lost but he did okay, I seem to remember him making at least one great save.

A Huddersfield fan might be able to give a more detailed scouting report. He played 38 times for them last season, so he's probably the keeper in our squad with the most recent and relevant experience of playing in the English championship.
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:17 pm

Gollini was a little boy lost for their goal. Shame because he was starting to look more settled.
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum