www.theclaretandbluearmy.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Third round League Cup tie

+5
villabromsgrove
GadgetMan
Morddred
Chris Harte
Sandie
9 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Third round League Cup tie   - Page 2 Empty Re: Third round League Cup tie

Post by The Bald Eagle Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:05 am

The Mail are simply winding up an already tense situation.
The Bald Eagle
The Bald Eagle
Private
Private

Back to top Go down

Post by GadgetMan Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:33 am

The Bald Eagle wrote:The Mail are simply winding up an already tense situation.

I can kind of see where you're coming from with this, in that it probably will bring it more into focus and 'simply' wind it up further, but that's not their intention and recent night games sadly do reflect badly on both sets of fans. I think it's a good idea and not one to be dismissed (speaking generally and not specifically about your post)

I don't think it will be moved and the Mail probably know that and they'll certainly be able to say "we told you so" afterwards. Let's face it how many of us said after the WBA QF that it was a BAD idea to have it as a teatime KO? Loads did. Well this is a ridiculous proposition in comparison to the WBA fixture. It has trouble written all over it sadly, so I'd be totally in favour of avoiding all the trouble and consequences that come with it if at all possible.
GadgetMan
GadgetMan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post by The Bald Eagle Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:10 pm

GadgetMan wrote:

I can kind of see where you're coming from with this, in that it probably will bring it more into focus and 'simply' wind it up further, but that's not their intention and recent night games sadly do reflect badly on both sets of fans. I think it's a good idea and not one to be dismissed (speaking generally and not specifically about your post)

I don't think it will be moved and the Mail probably know that and they'll certainly be able to say "we told you so" afterwards. Let's face it how many of us said after the WBA QF that it was a BAD idea to have it as a teatime KO? Loads did. Well this is a ridiculous proposition in comparison to the WBA fixture. It has trouble written all over it sadly, so I'd be totally in favour of avoiding all the trouble and consequences that come with it if at all possible.

When hooloiganism was eventually eradicated back in the eighties, it was a combination of better press and better policing. The latter was bringing an end to the days of police almost thriving on it. At quite a few grounds you would get police saying to you 'it's your fault for coming here' when you got yourself in bother. Following the Hillsborough disaster, Heysel, Bradford Fire and even the Kings Cross fire, most of these nothing to do with hooliganism, funnily enough, there seemed to be a more reasonable approach. People in crowds became more responsible and safety conscious, the police involved became much more reasonable in their approach. All seater grounds brought in better segregation, with the necessity for most games to be 'all ticket' instead of just a few per season. Undercover police, although they are still there, were mainly replaced with local police travelling with their supporters, being quite visible and being known to each other.
The press played their part by not reporting on hooliganism in the same way; they stopped showing videos and photos of violence, which were seen to glorify it.
The Mail, now a London rag, had no need to stoke the flames on this match. Any appeal they thought necessary could have been done behind the scenes, instead of bringing it to the attention of all and sundry, creating a public forum for idiots to jump on the bandwagon of.
Where the press did play a valuable part was to name and shame those who got arrested following violence, letting it be known that hooliganism would not be met with paltry fines but substantial jail sentences.
Whenever this game is played, there will be a likelihood of trouble but it would help, in my view, if we returned to the days of playing it low key in the media.
The Bald Eagle
The Bald Eagle
Private
Private

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:00 pm

GadgetMan wrote:I don't think it will be moved and the Mail probably know that and they'll certainly be able to say "we told you so" afterwards. Let's face it how many of us said after the WBA QF that it was a BAD idea to have it as a teatime KO? Loads did. Well this is a ridiculous proposition in comparison to the WBA fixture. It has trouble written all over it sadly, so I'd be totally in favour of avoiding all the trouble and consequences that come with it if at all possible.

I think everyone (other than the BBC) saw trouble coming with that game and the rather stupid kickoff time. With this one, it's at least on a work/school night rather than a Saturday so there will be a fewer people who have the chance to get an absolute skinful. I know the Albion rivalry is a different animal but the recent seasons have seen us play them on Monday night or in mid-week a couple of times and there hasn't been that much trouble.

I can see the Mail's argument, but as well as bordering on sensationalising the issue I'm not sure it's practical to shift the game. There are two other important premier league games either side of it to consider as well as a couple of rugby world cup games at Villa Park soon after.
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by GadgetMan Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:11 pm

The Bald Eagle wrote:
GadgetMan wrote:

When hooloiganism was eventually eradicated back in the eighties, it was a combination of better press and better policing. The latter was bringing an end to the days of police almost thriving on it. At quite a few grounds you would get police saying to you 'it's your fault for coming here' when you got yourself in bother. Following the Hillsborough disaster, Heysel, Bradford Fire and even the Kings Cross fire, most of these nothing to do with hooliganism, funnily enough, there seemed to be a more reasonable approach. People in crowds became more responsible and safety conscious, the police involved became much more reasonable in their approach. All seater grounds brought in better segregation, with the necessity for most games to be 'all ticket' instead of just a few per season. Undercover police, although they are still there, were mainly replaced with local police travelling with their supporters, being quite visible and being known to each other.
The press played their part by not reporting on hooliganism in the same way; they stopped showing videos and photos of violence, which were seen to glorify it.
The Mail, now a London rag, had no need to stoke the flames on this match. Any appeal they thought necessary could have been done behind the scenes, instead of bringing it to the attention of all and sundry, creating a public forum for idiots to jump on the bandwagon of.
Where the press did play a valuable part was to name and shame those who got arrested following violence, letting it be known that hooliganism would not be met with paltry fines but substantial jail sentences.
Whenever this game is played, there will be a likelihood of trouble but it would help, in my view, if we returned to the days of playing it low key in the media.

Good write up and in context, I see where your point lies now. Fair enough, can't argue with that. Let's hope it does go off without bother Third round League Cup tie   - Page 2 4288271622
GadgetMan
GadgetMan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post by GadgetMan Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:15 pm

Sandie wrote:
GadgetMan wrote:I don't think it will be moved and the Mail probably know that and they'll certainly be able to say "we told you so" afterwards. Let's face it how many of us said after the WBA QF that it was a BAD idea to have it as a teatime KO? Loads did. Well this is a ridiculous proposition in comparison to the WBA fixture. It has trouble written all over it sadly, so I'd be totally in favour of avoiding all the trouble and consequences that come with it if at all possible.

I think everyone (other than the BBC) saw trouble coming with that game and the rather stupid kickoff time. With this one, it's at least on a work/school night rather than a Saturday so there will be a fewer people who have the chance to get an absolute skinful. I know the Albion rivalry is a different animal but the recent seasons have seen us play them on Monday night or in mid-week a couple of times and there hasn't been that much trouble.

I can see the Mail's argument, but as well as bordering on sensationalising the issue I'm not sure it's practical to shift the game. There are two other important premier league games either side of it to consider as well as a couple of rugby world cup games at Villa Park soon after.

Another fair point. I touched upon it in my post, I think the mail knows all this and has played the "we tried to tell you card" early. Which on reflection possibly fits in with what BE was initially referring too. Let's hope grown boys and girls can begs be themselves for the clubs benefit. When you add in the extra 'jeporday' element of a knock out tie, I do wonder how it will go for the losers!!!
GadgetMan
GadgetMan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:40 pm

They've given an allocation of 2,800 tickets

Our ticket news

Tickets for our Capital One Cup third round match against Birmingham City are now on sale.

The Villa Park match takes place on Tuesday September 22, kick-off 7.45pm.

Prices are: £30 [adults], £20 [O65s/students] and £15 [U18] in the Trinity Road and Doug Ellis, £25 [adults], £15 [O65s/students], £10 [U18s] in the Holte End and North Stand Upper and £20 [adults], £15 [O65s/students] and £10 [U18s] in the North Stand Lower and Family Stand.

On sale dates

Friday September 4 [from 2pm]: On sale to 2015/16 season ticket holders who attended the previous League Cup second round match against Notts County.
Monday September 7: On sale to 2015/16 season card holders.
Tuesday September 8: On sale to 2015/16 Villa Cash members with a 5+ home booking history from 2014/15.
Wednesday September 9: On sale to 2015/16 Villa Cash members with a 3+ home booking history from 2014/15.
Thursday September 10: On sale to supporters with a 5+ home booking history from 2014/15.
Friday September 11: On sale to supporters with a 3+ home booking history from 2014/15.
Monday September 14: On sale to supporters with a 2+ home booking history from 2014/15.
Wednesday September 16: On sale to supporters with a varied booking history.

Season card holders have until 6pm on Wednesday September 9 to claim their own seat.

Tickets can be purchased at Villa Village, New Street or ONLINE.
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Joelleen Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:35 pm

Dare I say I think this is the one and only time in recent times that having gabby in that dressing room is a good thing!

Joelleen
Private
Private

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:36 pm

Joelleen wrote:Dare I say I think this is the one and only time in recent times that having gabby in that dressing room is a good thing!
Good point, I bet he plays and I hope his experience counts for something.
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:00 pm

His scoring record against THEM is pretty enviable as well and I'm sure he'll ensure that the new guys are under no illusion how important this game is.
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Liberty Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:38 am

I know its a supply & demand situation, and I got my tickets yesterday but I thought £30 & £15 for an adult & under18 (not forgetting its a school night!) was a tad excessive, I understand its the slime from Small Heath and not Notts County but to charge 3 x as much...or am I just being a tight wad!!

Liberty
Private
Private

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:02 pm

If it was any other crap championship club the ticket prices would be a bit steep. As it's that lot, the ground will be sold out at even those prices.

To be honest, I'm gutted I can't go.
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:17 pm

I won't be going. It will be an exciting night, but I prefer my excitement to come without the threat of violence. Most fans on both sides will behave themselves, but they'll be a couple of hundred from both clubs looking and hoping for aggro. I'm too old for that. Third round League Cup tie   - Page 2 205019816
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by The Bald Eagle Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:08 am

We are right next to the away fans, and above them, in P8. It will be the first time that we have played them since we moved to that block. We must beat them. The prospect of them gloating doesn't bear thinking about.
The Bald Eagle
The Bald Eagle
Private
Private

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:18 pm

Blues are playing some good football at the moment.
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next