www.theclaretandbluearmy.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aston Villa v Wigan Sat 10th Dec 3pm kick off.

2 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Will we be back to winning ways?

Aston Villa v Wigan Sat 10th Dec 3pm kick off. I_vote_lcap100%Aston Villa v Wigan Sat 10th Dec 3pm kick off. Empty 100% 
[ 2 ]
Aston Villa v Wigan Sat 10th Dec 3pm kick off. I_vote_lcap0%Aston Villa v Wigan Sat 10th Dec 3pm kick off. Empty 0% 
[ 0 ]
Aston Villa v Wigan Sat 10th Dec 3pm kick off. I_vote_lcap0%Aston Villa v Wigan Sat 10th Dec 3pm kick off. Empty 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 2

Aston Villa v Wigan Sat 10th Dec 3pm kick off. Empty Aston Villa v Wigan Sat 10th Dec 3pm kick off.

Post by villabromsgrove Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:20 pm

I thought I should get this up early to give us something to look forward to, instead of dwelling on Saturday's doom and gloom.

Our opponents Wigan are 2nd to bottom in the table, but only seven points behind us. Their last three results have been a draw against Barnsley, a win against Huddersfield and most recently a narrow 0-1 loss against Derby.

We will have to play much better than we did two days ago if we're to take three points from this game. I hope it signals some more positive football, where we set out to out score the opposition, rather than keeping it tight with our current dysfunctional midfield and defence.

What do you think guys?
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Aston Villa v Wigan Sat 10th Dec 3pm kick off. Empty Re: Aston Villa v Wigan Sat 10th Dec 3pm kick off.

Post by villabromsgrove Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:37 pm

I'm going to be positive, because I'm hoping Steve Bruce will also be in a positive frame of mind. 3-1 to the Villa. Aston Villa v Wigan Sat 10th Dec 3pm kick off. 205019816
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Aston Villa v Wigan Sat 10th Dec 3pm kick off. Empty Re: Aston Villa v Wigan Sat 10th Dec 3pm kick off.

Post by Sandie Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:15 pm

We've been doing well at home under Bruce and Wigan aren't as good a side as Leeds so I see no reason why it can't be a win. I'd like to see us dominate a game for a chance but I can see many reasons why that can't happen, however.

Wigan's defensive record is relatively solid so I'm saying 1-0 to Villa.
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:03 pm

We should win, but I want to win well.
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:23 am

I just don't understand how we haven't reached the same level of that second half at Brighton either before or since.
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:37 pm

Sandie wrote:I just don't understand how we haven't reached the same level of that second half at Brighton either before or since.
I think our weak midfield and penchant for killer defensive mistakes, have made Bruce a bit hesitant to try and dominate the opposition. I don't expect much change until we sign the right players in January.
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:13 pm

Our stats actually point to problems at the other end of the pitch. We've conceded 20 goals so far this season which gives us the fifth best record in the league. Not outstanding (Brighton and Derby have far better records) but compares much better to the rest of the league than our goals scored. We've conceded just four goals more than Newcastle but scored 17 fewer. I think the midfield is a big issue. It doesn't supply enough to our forwards and it doesn't chip in with enough goals. If we scored more often we would have less need to worry about errors from a defense that statistically seems no more prone to shipping goals than most of the division. That said, no one outside of the top two in the Championship seems to have a particularly outstanding goal difference (teams above us have scored more goals but also conceded more) probably because the whole thing is so tight outside of the top two. It seems in this league that some teams can win 5-0 one week then lose 5-0 the next.
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:31 pm

Sandie wrote:Our stats actually point to problems at the other end of the pitch. We've conceded 20 goals so far this season which gives us the fifth best record in the league. Not outstanding (Brighton and Derby have far better records) but compares much better to the rest of the league than our goals scored. We've conceded just four goals more than Newcastle but scored 17 fewer. I think the midfield is a big issue. It doesn't supply enough to our forwards and it doesn't chip in with enough goals. If we scored more often we would have less need to worry about errors from a defense that statistically seems no more prone to shipping goals than most of the division. That said, no one outside of the top two in the Championship seems to have a particularly outstanding goal difference probably because the whole thing is so tight outside of the top two.
I've advocated scoring more goals than the opposition as a "tactic" taking into account the attacking players we have and our defensive frailties. If you're going to score more goals you have to accept that we're probably going to concede, and play with just one holding player and the rest actively trying to get the ball into strikers who stay central and get into the box. The alternative is to try to grind out results, and hope we don't shoot ourself in the foot as commonly happens.

We do not have a well balanced "team" at the moment, and we wont until we bring in the right players.
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:32 am

All it needsis to replace Westwood with a more dynamic and attack minded player. His is presence is stifling us. It's not like having "just" Jedinak and Gardner still manning the defensive midfield area would leave us short handed or too open.
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:47 pm

Sandie wrote:All it needsis to replace Westwood with a more dynamic and attack minded player. His is presence is stifling us. It's not like having "just" Jedinak and Gardner still manning the defensive midfield area would leave us short handed or too open.
When Bruce finally realises that Westwood holds us back, we can start to get a bit of cohesive shape into the team and move forward.
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:32 pm

Since Bruce came in I have been supremely confident we will get results. However, for the first time I have nagging doubts. I have a feeling that Wigan and Warren Joyce might be able to spring a surprise. I just hope that the players aren't being complacent and are respecting their opponents. They may be in the bottom three but they also aren't that far ahead of us and have a new manager looking to improve them recently in.
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:34 pm

I think we may have relaxed a fraction now that we appear to be going in the right direction.SB has to make sure that we're 100% up for it tomorrow.
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:37 am

Earlier in the week Chester spoke out to praise Joyce so hopefully the captain will be making sure the rest of the team don't underestimate the man and his side.

I still have a bad feeling and it's not helped by how we seldom seem to beat Wigan.
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:25 pm

Joyce is a good manager and Wigan have played some decent stuff recently. I want to see our "class players" play some class football. It's only happening in flashes at the moment.
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:06 pm

Aston Villa v Wigan Sat 10th Dec 3pm kick off. Czueuh10

Like the look of that side. Wonder why?
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next