www.theclaretandbluearmy.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'The Sale of Aston Villa FC' Countdown Thread: Now Sold!

+8
villabromsgrove
South London Villan
Morddred
Kimbo
Chris Harte
GadgetMan
danclare82
Leafs1201
12 posters

Page 1 of 62 1, 2, 3 ... 31 ... 62  Next

Go down

'The Sale of Aston Villa FC' Countdown Thread: Now Sold! Empty 'The Sale of Aston Villa FC' Countdown Thread: Now Sold!

Post by GadgetMan Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:44 pm

A place to discuss events off the pitch at B6.

Last edited by GadgetMan on Tue May 17, 2016 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
GadgetMan
GadgetMan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

'The Sale of Aston Villa FC' Countdown Thread: Now Sold! Empty Re: 'The Sale of Aston Villa FC' Countdown Thread: Now Sold!

Post by villabromsgrove Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:51 pm

Tom Fox has been remarkably quiet this summer, but I guess that's fine as actions sometimes speak louder than words.

I would love to know what Randy is thinking about, and what he is currently doing with regards to selling AVFC.

Plan B was to have been a new Chairman .... will this happen, or has Fox impressed RL enough that he may be given a new title?

Could there still be a flicker of life in Plan A?
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

'The Sale of Aston Villa FC' Countdown Thread: Now Sold! Empty Re: 'The Sale of Aston Villa FC' Countdown Thread: Now Sold!

Post by Leafs1201 Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:25 am

Fox seems to be doing the business for me at last, everyone that knows me from TBAR will know I absolutely detest Lerner and from the moment he pi**ed the fans off by appointing McLeish against their wishes was the start of the end for him in my IMO, I don't know who is funding the current spending spree but I still want him gone.
Leafs1201
Leafs1201
Private
Private

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:53 am

Leafs1201 wrote:Fox seems to be doing the business for me at last, everyone that knows me from TBAR will know I absolutely detest Lerner and from the moment he pi**ed the fans off by appointing McLeish against their wishes was the start of the end for him in my IMO, I don't know who is funding the current spending spree but I still want him gone.
I'm sure that Lerner wants to close the door on this embarrassing chapter of his life. To be shown up in public as an inept businessman is humiliating. I think Fox has created some wiggle room for RL, but I'm sure he will go when a suitable new owner is found.
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by danclare82 Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:00 am

villabromsgrove wrote:
Leafs1201 wrote:Fox seems to be doing the business for me at last, everyone that knows me from TBAR will know I absolutely detest Lerner and from the moment he pi**ed the fans off by appointing McLeish against their wishes was the start of the end for him in my IMO, I don't know who is funding the current spending spree but I still want him gone.
I'm sure that Lerner wants to close the door on this embarrassing chapter of his life. To be shown up in public as an inept businessman is humiliating. I think Fox has created some wiggle room for RL, but I'm sure he will go when a suitable new owner is found.
Agree with this VB. Its great and makes a nice change how much we have spent in this window but in reality all Lerner has done is reinvest Snake/Benteke money. Fox has obv advised him to do so in order to make us me desirable to potential buyers.
danclare82
danclare82
Private
Private

Back to top Go down

Post by GadgetMan Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:25 pm

With incoming cash we've actually only spent just under 2m (I read somewhere, I'll see if I can get it) So given the TV money, not a great deal, still 10 days or so left, maybe a marquee signing?

Anyway re Fox and Charlie W, lots of changes behind the scenes, these two are running the show until we're sold. I don't see a Chairman coming in personally and still see it as a possibility we could be sold during this season (I'm gobsmacked we haven't been already, there was 100% a deal there to be made) We will see huh?!
GadgetMan
GadgetMan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:50 pm

danclare82 wrote:
Agree with this VB. Its great and makes a nice change how much we have spent in this window but in reality all Lerner has done is reinvest Snake/Benteke money. Fox has obv advised him to do so in order to make us me desirable to potential buyers.

Agree. It's easier to sell a successful team than one that's always battling relegation. To be honest, Delph release clause aside, I can't knock the management for how they've performed this summer with regard to 'on-the-pitch' stuff. They've supported Tim to bring in some decent players and in real terms have probably spent in a sensible and sustainable manner. Most of the guys we've brought in and extended the deals on are young enough to have a decent re-sale value and talented enough to move the club forward. It's a world away from both the careless spending that characterised the MoN period and the lack of investment we had under McLeish and Lambert.
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by GadgetMan Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:34 pm

Sandie wrote:
danclare82 wrote:

Agree. It's easier to sell a successful team than one that's always battling relegation. To be honest, Delph release clause aside, I can't knock the management for how they've performed this summer with regard to 'on-the-pitch' stuff. They've supported Tim to bring in some decent players and in real terms have probably spent in a sensible and sustainable manner. Most of the guys we've brought in and extended the deals on are young enough to have a decent re-sale value and talented enough to move the club forward. It's a world away from both the careless spending that characterised the MoN period and the lack of investment we had under  McLeish and Lambert.

Hard to disagree with that when you consider wages etc! However this makes for interesting reading, as to net spend (it's actually closer to 5m due to Genk receiving cash from CB sale) http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/aston-villa/transfers/verein/405/saison_id/2015
GadgetMan
GadgetMan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Harte Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:47 pm

Leafs1201 wrote:...I absolutely detest Lerner and from the moment he pi**ed the fans off by appointing McLeish against their wishes was the start of the end for him in my IMO....
I felt at the time that the McLeish thing was Lerner saying that he was going to do it his way, despite any (all) the misgivings of the supporters. It made for a poisonous atmosphere at Villa Park that season. To think when McLeish did lose his job we thought Larbert would bring a bright future.

My god, we must have been desparate.

Chris Harte
Private
Private

Back to top Go down

Post by Kimbo Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:27 pm

Chris Harte wrote:
Leafs1201 wrote:...I absolutely detest Lerner and from the moment he pi**ed the fans off by appointing McLeish against their wishes was the start of the end for him in my IMO....
I felt at the time that the McLeish thing was Lerner saying that he was going to do it his way, despite any (all) the misgivings of the supporters. It made for a poisonous atmosphere at Villa Park that season. To think when McLeish did lose his job we thought Larbert would bring a bright future.

I remember sitting in the car with my dad just after Eck was appointed. He said something like, "The thing is, I have an element of control over everything important in my life, apart from the Villa. I have to trust them to at least do things as best they can, and this is unforgivable".

He still loves the Villa and ferociously supports us - hell, he had a stroke while watching us get hammered at home to Spurs in Lambert's first season, a few days after the 8-0 to Chelsea, and was in fact banned by my mom from watching us for a few weeks! - but I do feel like a part of him has never been the same about the club since then. That decision showed a lack of respect for the supporters that is difficult to quantify properly in words.
Kimbo
Kimbo
Private
Private

http://www.basementnoise.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:02 pm

Kimbo wrote:
Chris Harte wrote:

I remember sitting in the car with my dad just after Eck was appointed. He said something like, "The thing is, I have an element of control over everything important in my life, apart from the Villa. I have to trust them to at least do things as best they can, and this is unforgivable".

He still loves the Villa and ferociously supports us - hell, he had a stroke while watching us get hammered at home to Spurs in Lambert's first season, a few days after the 8-0 to Chelsea, and was in fact banned by my mom from watching us for a few weeks! - but I do feel like a part of him has never been the same about the club since then. That decision showed a lack of respect for the supporters that is difficult to quantify properly in words.
I think appointing McLeish convinced me that Randy Lerner would never understand Villa. You can read the history but you have to feel the passion, and you can't do that from three thousand miles away.
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Morddred Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:23 pm

For me the appointment appointment of TSM showed that no one at the club had a clear thought out plan for the club. It also showed a lack of respect for the supporters and a lack of ambition for the club.
Morddred
Morddred
Private
Private

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:29 pm

I think it spoke volumes that it was claimed they brought him in as they had liked him when they met him.

It wasn't just from a footballing perspective that it was impossible to understand. Lerner and Faulkner were supposed to be businessmen. However, if you were running a successful company would you appoint someone as a manager solely on the grounds of their likeability even with a dubious track record in previous roles? It wasn't just the Blues thing - If he'd been a successful manager for them then we'd be delighted to poach him. Whilst he won the league cup, he also managed to relegate them. Think it was just under a month between us celebrating him taking them down to his appointment as our boss. Like watching a car crash unfold over four weeks.
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:35 pm

Sandie wrote:I think it spoke volumes that it was claimed they brought him in as they had liked him when they met him.

It wasn't just from a footballing perspective that it was impossible to understand. Lerner and Faulkner were supposed to be businessmen. However, if you were running a successful company would you appoint someone as a manager solely on the grounds of their likeability even with a dubious track record in previous roles? It wasn't just the Blues thing - If he'd been a successful manager for them then we'd be delighted to poach him. Whilst he won the league cup, he also managed to relegate them. Think it was just under a month between us celebrating him taking them down to his appointment as our boss. Like watching a car crash unfold over four weeks.
It was unbelievable! I kept praying that it wasn't true in the short time between the rumour starting and his appointment. It was a stupid, stupid, stupid thing to do! Did I mention that it was stupid? Very Happy
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by South London Villan Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:36 pm

Ray Wilkins on talksport breakfast show tomorrow
South London Villan
South London Villan
Private
Private

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 62 1, 2, 3 ... 31 ... 62  Next