www.theclaretandbluearmy.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Next Manager?

+3
South London Villan
Sandie
villabromsgrove
7 posters

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Next Manager? Empty Next Manager?

Post by villabromsgrove Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:55 am

We've reached the point where it appears inevitable that RDM will be sacked. Life will go on at Villa under a new manager, but who is that going to be?

Steve Bruce may be waiting in the wings, and Steve McClaren has been mentioned in the media. Sam Allardyce is bound to be thrown into the 'speculation pot' and there's always good old Neil Warnock.

I'm not going to mention Ian Holloway! Next Manager? 3640643743  (I know .... I just did!)

Other candidates already have jobs. Do you guys think we may make an approach to clubs to speak with currently employed managers?

Who's your favourite candidate?
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Next Manager? Empty Re: Next Manager?

Post by villabromsgrove Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:31 pm

I've just watched Neil Warnock ripping into his team in the dressing room at half time in a 1995 video. No wonder he was known as Mr Angry!

While I watched, I was imagining Westwood and Hutton being confronted by him for their sins!

It's on VT on the Next Villa Manager thread .... Page 22. It's worth a watch, just to see the shock on everyones faces (even his own backroom staff).
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:55 pm

I'm going to need to collect my thoughts on this. My inclination would be towards a manager experienced in winning promotion and keeping teams in the PL. I'd be wary of bringing in someone like Wagner who has had a promising few months somewhere. We will need a big character should RDM go.

Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:52 am

Steve Clarke is our "interim" manager, but who will be appointed to take us forward for the rest of the season. Are we looking short term to an experienced old head like Steve Bruce, or do we need to break the cycle of looking for 'footballing names' and give one of the new crop of younger progressive managers a shot. Wagner, Smith, Johnson etc. These 'new' guys would probably want to turn BMH on it's head, which would be long overdue.
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:56 am

Steve Round is apparently a big admirer of David Wagner, and his style of training and team bonding. It will be interesting to see whether Dr T will listen to the football guys that he employs, rather than make another personal decision based on a 'name'.
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:32 am

I think the time for recycling the journeymen managers that have rotated through a number of different reincarnations should be over as far as Villa is concerned. I'm in favour of paying compensation for a currently employed progressive up and coming manager. It's time we stepped into a new era. We need to sweep out every corner of VP and BMH with a new broom.

The malaise isn't going to be banished from AVFC by having an old hand come in and tweak our set up. It needs major surgery, and that demands the energy of a younger progressive manager, who isn't weighed down with decades of pre conceived out of date methods and tactics.
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:16 pm

If Dr T doesn't feel confident enough to appoint a new progressive type, then a possible compromise could be to offer Steve Bruce the job until the end of the season. If a huge bonus was offered for attaining promotion, SB may well be prepared to give it his best shot for the next 33 games.

That would give Steve Round plenty of time to research and present a case for the best of the up and coming managers that could be targeted next summer.
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:52 pm

We keep taking gambles with managers. Considering his spate of sackings RDM was a gamble, Garde was a big gamble and Sherwood was a big gamble. Gambles that haven't paid off for us. Going further back, Lambert was a flavour of the month appointment who came into the job on the back of a couple of good seasons. Like a number of flavour of the month managers before him (look at Owen Coyle and Paul Jewell as particularly good examples) he has sunk since.

We need a proven manager with a track record and a big character and I'm wont to go for another gamble. These progressive managers will need to be thoroughly investigated to assess if they have substance behind them. I'd be tempted to go for Steve Bruce for a couple of seasons but he's one of the stale, old guard of managers.

We do have good players, though, and I think pretty much anyone who is able to go in and create the right kind of culture might effect a fairly instant turnaround. It is, however, a massive job with massive expectations heaped upon it.
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by South London Villan Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:10 pm

I wouldn't mind Chris Hughton. He has always got the best out of his teams & somewhat over acheived with the resources he has at his disposal. With our squad he could certainly get results and strengthen in January
South London Villan
South London Villan
Private
Private

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:35 pm

Hughton is a good shout. I've admired his quiet but effective management for years, but he's also a man of principles, so I would be surprised if he left Brighton (eleven games into the season) when he's been well treated by them.
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Harte Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:53 pm

Bruce or Hughton for me.

To be honest, I'm dismayed that we've got a(nother) caretaker manager in. If the Dr. was such an astute businessman then how come he hasn't lined up a shortlist of at least half a dozen alternatives for the post for the event that it hadn't worked out with RDM?

Chris Harte
Private
Private

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:23 pm

I was thinking about Hughton as a possible earlier funnily enough. It would be a choice I'd be happy enough with. To think he was available when we went for McLeish...

I've also been reading up on David Wagner. An interesting character but if we were to appoint him we would effectively be doing so on the basis of 11 games this season, he is inexperienced in management terms and they finished 19th last season. Probably decent considering the constraints he's under there but still.
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by South London Villan Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:03 am

Wagner works and expects a similar level of commitment to his mentor Klopp.

We don't have the players to play such a high pressing, high tempo game for 45 minutes let alone 90.

Ayew can't or won't track back enough, Kodija gives the ball away too much, Hutton enough has been said on him, Westwood will run but chase shadows and pass sideways across the back line to the opposition.

Wagner would not want to work with our players at this stage in the season.

Sam might organise the defence, Shrrwood might get a dead cat bounce but after 8 games it will be Southampton away all over again.
South London Villan
South London Villan
Private
Private

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:03 pm

Wagner and Johnson excite me with their energies and progressive attitude. We need to change dramatically rather than trying to tweak things, and I think these guys would bust a gut to change things. I fully understand the call for a Bruce or Hughton as a safe pair of 'Championship' hands, and would back either should they be appointed.

Another point to consider is if Wagner/Johnson continue to do well, they will be out of our reach come the end the season in the same way that Eddie Howe is now.
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by South London Villan Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:38 pm

I don't think our squad is capable of playing the wagner way
South London Villan
South London Villan
Private
Private

Back to top Go down