www.theclaretandbluearmy.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Next Manager?

+3
South London Villan
Sandie
villabromsgrove
7 posters

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Go down

Next Manager? - Page 7 Empty Re: Next Manager?

Post by Sandie Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:27 pm

At the end of the day, Steve Bruce has got promotion from the Championship before (only last season, too) and with us he will have a much more lavish squad and more extensive backing than he did at Hull. Whatever his failings (like the lack of tactical nous mentioned above) he has succeeded at the level we are now required to operate and quite recently to.

It's actually surprising that out of the last four appointments this is the one I'm most positive about! Yes, I'm positive about Steve Bruce and I don't need to talk myself round in my head like I had to with Sherwood, Garde or RDM.
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:53 pm

He's a nice fella who is an arm round the shoulder type manager. He will make the players a happier bunch and we have to hope that it's enough to start winning.

I don't think it's a great appointment for the future, but as an interim measure it wont do too much harm. I hope that KW/SR will grow in confidence over the rest of the season, and use the time to come up with a plan and a programme for turning us into a forward thinking club. We are very much in a "one game at a time" mode at the moment.

I do not feel one little bit of excitement or even relief about the impending appointment of Steve Bruce as manager, which concerns me.
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:22 pm

villabromsgrove wrote:I don't think it's a great appointment for the future, but as an interim measure it wont do too much harm. I hope that KW/SR will grow in confidence over the rest of the season, and use the time to come up with a plan and a programme for turning us into a forward thinking club. We are very much in a "one game at a time" mode at the moment.

I have the feeling that every one of our big plans are on hold until we return to the Premier League. That's probably fair enough for things like capital investment improving the stadium but when it comes down to things like building structures and philosophies it actually makes sense to do that now whilst in the Championship rather than trying to change everything whilst in the Premier League. Maybe part of the issue is that Steve Round is just in the door and wants to start his work looking at the academy and building up things like the scouting network before trying to establish this "Villa way" with the first team.
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:09 pm

I wonder whether Dr T's understanding of the kind of football person Steve Round is, was originally skewed by SR's recent Master's studies? Round is on a journey from a standard coaching background to try to become a club 'builder' and technical decision maker. He has a lot of personal development to do before he will be a competent capable leader in my opinion.

The appointment of Steve Bruce would allow SR to step back and take the time he needs to become that leader.
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:02 pm

I won't lie, I was very, very surprised when Steve Round was appointed as technical director. I was anticipating someone more experienced and, shall we say, "exotic" than someone who had held a lengthy career as an assistant manager. I can't possibly comment on the qualities and qualifications he brings to the position other than that.
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by GadgetMan Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:06 pm

So Bruce to be announced at 6:30pm says Dr X on Twitter. Not my preferred choice, BUT we now need to back him and hope he does well (as opposed to a small % of our fan base wanting him to fail so they can say "I told you so" which happens a lot sadly and part of the wider problems at the club)

So welcome Mr Potato Head (Can we still call him that?) I hope you're brilliant as that will mean Aston Villa are BACK UTV!!
GadgetMan
GadgetMan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:22 pm

I think as long as we call him "our potato head" in a friendly familiar fashion it will be alright. Next Manager? - Page 7 3640643743
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:35 pm

villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by GadgetMan Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:36 pm

it's on the OS https://www.avfc.co.uk/News/2016/10/12/steve-bruce-announced

Next Manager? - Page 7 Brucew10

Not something I ever thought I'd see, but Welcome Brucey, be awesome and make us great again.
GadgetMan
GadgetMan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:36 pm

Welcome to Villa Steve. Good luck, I hope you do really well.
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:37 pm

Now we can get on with the job of putting points on the board.
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim Villan Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:58 pm

Come on Steve please win us some football matches!! starting with Wolves and then Blues, that would be nice!!!
Jim Villan
Jim Villan
Private
Private

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:02 am

villabromsgrove wrote:
GadgetMan wrote:Here's enough to make you shudder re Bruce, imo anyway https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2011/nov/30/steve-bruce-sunderland-sacked (of course it backs my view of not wanting him haha)
This article was written five years ago, but it's an enlightening read and is probably even more valid today.

When you see the way that sports science and analysis has become an integral part of the game it clearly delineates the past from the future. It used to be enough to go out on the pitch with the better players and expect to beat your less able opponents. Times change! Now matches are often won or lost in the preparation and planning for the game.

Bruce is a lovely fella and he would be well liked by the players, but at best he could only ever be a short term fix. As GM said, the likelihood of promotion this season is mathematically slim, so let's appoint someone who can get us up and at it for 2017/18.

I'm not calling for Bruce's head as he's a genuinely nice bloke and I really wan't him to get things right. I thought that fetching this thread back from the archives would remind us of how we felt in the run up to his appointment. Is Steve genuinely not that bothered with tactics as the attached article claims?
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7