www.theclaretandbluearmy.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Steve Bruce: Aston Villa Manager

+3
Jim Villan
Chris Harte
GadgetMan
7 posters

Page 3 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Steve Bruce: Aston Villa Manager - Page 3 Empty Re: Steve Bruce: Aston Villa Manager

Post by Sandie Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:49 pm

Exactly. It's not his fault he's inherited a massive mess. It's going to take him and his coaches time to build up the team's fitness, build a team ethic and then some January action to turn this ship fully around.
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Steve Bruce: Aston Villa Manager - Page 3 Empty Re: Steve Bruce: Aston Villa Manager

Post by villabromsgrove Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:25 pm

There is a miasma hanging around Villa that has nothing to do with individual players, fans or management. We have had a large change of personnel and still the stench of fear remains. It's so real that it's tangible. Even the new players have become tainted by it, against their will or expectation.

It's the fear and acceptance of failure. There's a subconscious acceptance that we're Villa, we're doomed no matter what we do. Even when we're playing reasonably well, you can see players are just waiting for, and therefore inviting something to go wrong. It's as though we gradually institutionalise any player who comes to play in the claret and blue.

Mental strength as well as physical fitness has to be looked at very closely.

villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:25 pm

I can't help but think the lingering presence of players like Westwood and Bacuna rubs off on the new players. They have been with us consistently during a very dark period. After that can they really play with confidence especially at home where they have been involved in so many negative moments?
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:39 pm

Sandie wrote:I can't help but think the lingering presence of players like Westwood and Bacuna rubs off on the new players. They have been with us consistently during a very dark period. After that can they really play with confidence especially at home where they have been involved in so many negative moments?
Bacuna isn't the answer because his overall game is not good enough, but for now he's a better athlete than some other players. Westwood and Hutton are black holes down which all our hopes and aspirations disappear. I hope someone whispers in SB's ear about Westwood and Hutton, and their combined effect on results.
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:05 pm

It's not ability, it's about mentality. With Bacuna you can actually see him start to panic in his play later on in games. That's not what we need and it's the residue of him playing for us over a period where a winning Aston Villa team was rare. I'd play Richards when he's available. I think he's carrying a knock for Reading so would go for Bacuna in this one but otherwise players like him and the two you mention shouldn't get past the bench unless we're desperate.
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:05 pm

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/dr-tony-xia-explains-real-12038850?

An interesting take on our current problems by Dr T. He shows that he still does not fully understand Villa's problems, which is slightly disappointing but not surprising.

He would do well to employ the services of someone like Jenny Truman, rather than dismiss the idea that we are mentally weak as a group.

He's right about the damage done by low intensity training and tactics, but our current malaise goes deeper than just the physical.
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:56 pm

I do agree but maybe he's publicly wary of pointing it out as it comes close to slamming the players? Much better to point the finger at a recently fired manager. Hopefully Steve Bruce recognises the issue and will be addressing it himself.
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:07 pm

Big opportunity for Steve Bruce to work a bit of magic tonight.
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:22 pm

https://www.avfc.co.uk/News/2016/10/21/bruce-on-backroom-staff?

Interesting comments about his backroom team. It would seem that his targets are currently employed which at least means they should be decent at what they do.
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:45 pm

Personally speaking although I like Kevin McDonald, I hope he doesn't become part of SB's first team staff. He's firmly entrenched in old style Villa practises that need to be replaced.
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by South London Villan Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:39 pm

Roy Keane was right when he said that he couldn't understand the acceptance of losing when at Villa. Lambert's "we go again" were alien to him and I think following McCleish and his negative football Lambert was not competent enough to change that mentality and we slipped further in to the mire.

Bruce has gone back to basics, by all accounts he is a great man manager and he looks to have worked his magic at this early stage.

Everyone has had an opportunity so far and I think the 442 will be used at least till January. We look happier with less possession and go on the counter. With Kodija up front and the pace & creativity of Adomah, Grealish, Amavi, McCormack, Ayew we can certainly get forward quickly albeit the final pass is still frustratingly hit & miss.
South London Villan
South London Villan
Private
Private

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:06 pm

Back to basics, hard work and time.

We have enough players to use subs effectively, but I'd like to see a settled defence and midfield with the rotation and subs happening among our attackers.

We need to send out a message to every opposition team with the fresh attacking legs we have available, "we can defend against you for 90 minutes, but you can't do the same against our attack for 90 minutes". "We're going to get you"!
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:05 am

I agree with that, I think we will see a more settled defence and midfield in coming weeks. The hard working trio of Jedinak, Gardner and Bacuna have played the last two and the only defensive change in those games was to bring in Amavi for the poor Cissokho. The seven players in these positions have worked hard and got us these two wins.

The attack obviously needs that degree of rotation because of the quality and the different types of players we have and can accomodate. One question I would ask is whether Elphick should come back in? He's captain but Baker has done a tremendous job in his absence. It looks to me like he's the poorest of our three centre halves.

One last note, apologies for the forum being down most of the evening. It was beyond our control and due to a problem at the hosts with all websites on the platform being down. Hopefully they will have fixed it permanently now.
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:15 pm

I noticed the swirling black dots a few times and guessed it was a forumotion issue .... we'll all have to make sure we don't post too much and overload the site .... alright, I'm joking! Very Happy

In answer to your question about Elphick Sandie, I think he'll benefit from some time getting really fit. Chester and Baker would be my CB choice for now.
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by South London Villan Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:43 pm

Still unbeaten, nice honeymoon.
South London Villan
South London Villan
Private
Private

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next