www.theclaretandbluearmy.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AVFC Players senior through to U21s and beyond

+6
South London Villan
avfcff1982
Sandie
GadgetMan
villabromsgrove
Kimbo
10 posters

Page 3 of 67 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 35 ... 67  Next

Go down

AVFC Players senior through to U21s and beyond - Page 3 Empty Re: AVFC Players senior through to U21s and beyond

Post by GadgetMan Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:15 am

South London Villan wrote:But it is not their fault they are paid that money. At some point an agent and and a Director of Football felt they were worth it.
Whilst I find it unpalatable that anyone would be willing to waste the opportunity of being a professional footballer, the money players command and football agents in general are immoral, at its base level it is good work if you can get it.
They turn up for training midway through the morning and kick a ball around with the lads, have a bite to eat in the subsidised canteen that is cooked by top chefs, get a pedicure and a massage, head home mid way through the afternoon to see the glamorous wag, repeat for 4 days and every other weekend turn up to watch a top class game in the corporate section and collect a middle manager's annual salary each week for the pleasure.
Morally wrong but if you could get away with it at a club, in a city or country you have no connection or affinity with you would, wouldn't you.

Good post SLV. I wasn't saying it was there fault, I'd totally do it and anyone of use here or anywhere would. Nothing personal with them or any footballer, it's just grotesque when you look at it from a wider perspective and see famine and starvation. Probably a bit too deep for a football forum ha!

Social media and new outlets have been full of horrific photos this week of poor refugees, that have sadly died trying to get safe. It's startling that we live in a world where both obesity and famine exist. Anyway that's for a whole other thread in OT perhaps.

Back to Nzog and Adebayor being incredibly lucky men...........
GadgetMan
GadgetMan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

AVFC Players senior through to U21s and beyond - Page 3 Empty Re: AVFC Players senior through to U21s and beyond

Post by Sandie Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:29 pm

Anybody else listen to the World Football Phone-In? It's on in the small hours of Saturday morning annoyingly but is available on Podcast and IPlayer. It's pretty good and you get to hear a lot of interesting stuff about South American football which I like.

Anyway, somebody asked about Amavi and their European football expert absolutely raved about him. Said he's already good enough to play for one of the top four and it was a bit of a coup for us to get him. Probably nothing we don't know having seen him turn out a few times for us but good to hear all the same.
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:07 pm

Sandie wrote:Anybody else listen to the World Football Phone-In? It's on in the small hours of Saturday morning annoyingly but is available on Podcast and IPlayer. It's pretty good and you get to hear a lot of interesting stuff about South American football which I like.

Anyway, somebody asked about Amavi and their European football expert absolutely raved about him. Said he's already good enough to play for one of the top four and it was a bit of a coup for us to get him. Probably nothing we don't know having seen him turn out a few times for us but good to hear all the same.
I love to hear praise like that from random pundits. It brings on a feel good glow.
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:51 pm

What do we make of Grealish trying to choose between England and Ireland?

To me it's an unwanted distraction to a lad who should be concentrating on playing for us. Have to admit I've come to prefer our players not playing for England. For Barry, Young, Downing and Delph getting an England call seemed to be the prelude to a move. I think Jack is a little more loyal than those players but the point stands. It will also be easier for him to get Ireland caps and there will always be less hype/pressure playing for them.
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:09 pm

Sandie wrote:What do we make of Grealish trying to choose between England and Ireland?

To me it's an unwanted distraction to a lad who should be concentrating on playing for us. Have to admit I've come to prefer our players not playing for England. For Barry, Young, Downing and Delph getting an England call seemed to be the prelude to a move. I think Jack is a little more loyal than those players but the point stands. It will also be easier for him to get Ireland caps and there will always be less hype/pressure playing for them.
I don't think there's much of a decision to be made. Jack has to ask himself whether he wants to lie around on beaches (and streets Very Happy ) during the summer, or whether he wants to try and play world cup and euro cup football finals. If he wants to play in world cup tournaments he chooses England.

I'm half Irish, but he'd be a mug to settle for second best with the talent he has.
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:02 pm

Sherwood: We need to toughen Ilori up

Tim Sherwood has told Aston Villa fans they might have to wait a while to see Tiago Ilori in action.

Sherwood, whose team visit Leicester on Sunday, admits the on loan Liverpool defender is lacking match fitness.

The Villa boss is also hoping the Portuguese youngster develops a mean streak to cope with the physicality of the Premier League.

“He played in an Under-21s game the other day,” said Sherwood.

“He has played two 45 minutes (for Liverpool’s U21s) and 70 minutes (behind closed doors this week) since the European Under-21 Championships when he played for Portugal.

“He is well behind everyone else for fitness. We are not expecting to see him in the next couple of weeks.”

Despite being just 22 years old, Ilori has experience playing for Sporting, Granada and Bordeaux.

Sherwood is confident that being at Villa will toughen him up for the rough and tumble of the Premier League.

“He has played in four different countries now so he has had a rounded upbringing,” said Sherwood.

“He has seen different styles of player, he is very cultured.

“I’m just trying to get into him the fact that sometimes in the Premier League you have to get your shorts dirty. It cant always be pretty and nice.

“He is buying it, getting it on board.

“I think he will be a great player for the future.”

So we probably won't be seeing him in the next few games, then. As I said on the other thread, Sherwood has been saying that he can also play as a right back (as we already knew) and as defensive midfielder (Is Tim obsessed with them?) so if Sherwood thinks he needs toughening up we might see him in one of those two positions to start with as physical prowess isn't so much of an issue as it is for a centre half?
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:17 pm

If you took a TS sound bite from every signing interview this summer, only Richards and Lescott haven't had that said about them. Very Happy
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:39 pm

Sherwood can't see Gabby leaving

Tim Sherwood reckons Gabby Agbonlahor will finish his career at Aston Villa and has once again reiterated his importance to the club.

The misfiring striker has come under heavy criticism from the supporters in recent times but Sherwood is still backing his man to come good.

Agbonlahor may not have scored for the past six months and appears low on confidence when he’s out on the pitch.

But extended training sessions and specific work on his finishing has left him looking good ahead of Sunday’s clash with Leicester.

“He’s spent more time out there training than anyone else this international break because he wants to improve himself still,” the manager said.

“We’re there to help him improve.

“He’s been doing one-on-one extra finishing and working hard.

“Gabby’s an important part of this football club and I can’t ever see him leaving.”

The club captain and longest-serving player is under increased pressure to score goals this season following the departure of Christian Benteke.

Jordan Ayew and Rudy Gestede were both signed to help offset the loss of the big Belgian but so far it’s wideman Scott Sinclair who has emerged as the main source of goals.

It’s thought Agbonlahor has been down in the dumps following his loss of form and the extra work at Bodymoor Heath is a sign he is determined to turn things around.

“The supporters see him when he’s on the pitch,” said Sherwood.

“But I see him every day helping the young guys out here.

“He’s an important part of this club going forward.

“I’ve needed to add people like Joleon Lescott to the group to help those like Gabby and Clarky.

“But he’s got a massive part to play both on and off the pitch.”

Local derbies are where Agbonlahor seems to produce his best form and with the first of three on Sunday, Sherwood is hoping to see a change in his fortunes.

“These next three games are what Gabby’s all about. He comes to life in these derby games.

“No-one wants to win derby games more than Gabby. He’s a homegrown player.”

I would quite happily see Gabby leave to be honest, but it's a good sign if he's reacting to the 'increased scrutiny' by working hard trying to improve himself (of course, it could be Sherwood trying to protect his player).

Thoughts?
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:31 pm

Adebayor's been paid off and released by Spurs, what do we reckon guys? If we signed him he wouldn't be able to play until January because he was released after the transfer window closed.
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:28 pm

We've already got 25 members in our squad so that also prevents us from adding anyone new before Jan.

Is there anywhere abroad he can sign for before then? Wonder if Sherwood will offer him the use of our facilities to train and keep his fitness up if he can't.
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:29 pm

U21s playing Brighton tonight. Crespo, Ilori and Kozak all playing.
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:40 pm

Sandie wrote:U21s playing Brighton tonight. Crespo, Ilori and Kozak all playing.
That's good news, I hope Kozak gets a goal.
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:09 pm

Finished 2-1.

Kozak got the winner from the spot.
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:03 pm

Sandie wrote:Finished 2-1.

Kozak got the winner from the spot.
He missed a couple of sitters in open play, but the penalty will do. A goal's a goal when you look at the stats.
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:45 am

Jerell Sellars scored again last night, and with Sherwood watching he must be starting to force himself into the picture.
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 67 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 35 ... 67  Next