www.theclaretandbluearmy.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Steve Bruce: Aston Villa Manager

+3
Jim Villan
Chris Harte
GadgetMan
7 posters

Page 10 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Steve Bruce: Aston Villa Manager - Page 10 Empty Re: Steve Bruce: Aston Villa Manager

Post by villabromsgrove Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:39 pm

Sandie wrote:I'll be honest, I like Steve Bruce as a person and think he's a good manager. But unless something changes once we go into the season I suspect he will be gone by Christmas.

I think we've been wasteful already. There are players that he has signed who seem to be dropping out of the picture a bit in favour of either new signings or long serving failures. I'm thinking particularly of the likes of Hourihane, Bree and Hogan when I say that and in each case I think they can give us something more. Based on pre-season our business is looking sound with even the signings I was skeptical about like Elmo and Whelan looking like they will improve us. However, all of those signings are focused on keeping us tight rather than sorting out our attacking problems particularly the link between central midfield and the strikers. I see Hourihane being the answer to that problem but at least in pre-season he's not been consistently getting game time.

Taken together I expect a frustrating season, I'd not be fussed if we won every game 1-0 and kept it tight every game if it got us up but it's getting that one goal that might be our problem.

Top post, I agree 100%!

Bruce would have to change his ideas dramatically to get the best out of Hourihane, Hogan and Bree. Like you I see Hourihane as key to playing linked up attacking football and it just isn't going to happen.
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Steve Bruce: Aston Villa Manager - Page 10 Empty Re: Steve Bruce: Aston Villa Manager

Post by Sandie Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:34 am

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2017/aug/03/aston-villa-steve-bruce-financial-fair-play

If that's the situation why are we turning down serious offers for players like Bacuna and Hutton? Bruce has been backed, we've brought in some good players for him and funded wages for people like Terry and Samba who one would assume isn't earning nothing.
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:09 am

Sandie wrote:https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2017/aug/03/aston-villa-steve-bruce-financial-fair-play

If that's the situation why are we turning down serious offers for players like Bacuna and Hutton? Bruce has been backed, we've brought in some good players for him and funded wages for people like Terry and Samba who one would assume isn't earning nothing.
When Grealish was injured against Watford after 20 minutes, Bruce brought Bacuna straight on. Hutton was already on the pitch as he is his number one right back apparently. It's worrying that Steve considers both players to be in his top twelve Villa players. He should have sold them when he had the opportunity. They are both paid far too much in my opinion.
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:46 am

Both have also been with the club throughout our long term stagnation and collapse. It boggles my mind that Bacuna, a player who will probably be best remembered for shoving an assistant referee, has played nearly 130 times for us.
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:14 pm

Oh come on Sandie, Bacuna will be remembered for more than just pushing the linesman .... what about skateboarding at the airport!!!!!! Steve Bruce: Aston Villa Manager - Page 10 3640643743
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:17 pm

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/keith-wyness-what-aston-villa-13434545

Wyness knows what we've got to do this season and he knows what type of football we have to play to score 80 goals, but has anyone told Bruce? Surely if he was going to play goal scoring football he would have been rehearsing it in pre season wouldn't he?
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:45 am

I'm not sure what we were rehearsing in pre-season as we didn't line up with any consistent plan during it.
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:57 pm

I never wanted to believe that alleged quote from Bruce "I don't do tactics" but it seems he was telling the truth.
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:18 am

https://www.avfc.co.uk/News/2017/08/07/manager-on-monday-bruce-on-good-signs

Bruce sounds like a fan rather than a manager. He tells us what happened but totally divorces himself from any blame. "Nothing to do with me gaffer, they played well, then they didn't play well". What about the effect that your input had Steve?
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim Villan Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:39 pm

I have noticed that with Bruces comments too. It's a bit unusual for a manager to make the comments he does and you do wonder how players would take those comments. Usually, the top managers tend to defend the performance of their team and if when their players don't perform they usually try and deflect the pressure or be in denial a bit and focus on the positives so not to destroy confidence. Anyway, that said the way that I look at it, Bruce is under pressure whatever fans think or don't think about him. It's the nature of the job, if we're not in the top 7 by 10 games in, his job will be under threat, there are no two ways about it. So, I am happy to wait and reserve Judgement until that point.
Jim Villan
Jim Villan
Private
Private

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:49 pm

Sherwood and RDM both had that tendency to divorce themselves from blame in their comments particularly towards the end of their times in charge. Seems to be a bit of a theme with our managers.
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:54 pm

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/08/07/steve-bruce-admits-error-he-made-during-aston-villas-match-again/

I don't usually link HITC articles, but this one was so unbelievable.

If Bruce believes that the laughable cameo of Samba up front and Hutton hitting balls 40 metres up in the air should be extended as a regular "tactic," then he needs to be sacked yesterday if not sooner! Outrageously stupid!!!!!!
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:05 pm

The worst thing about it is that Samba actually improved us. Still unbelievable we were reduced to it in the first game. Even Big Sam, who originated it at Blackburn was pretty desperate with injuries at the time. What must someone like Keinan Davies feel about that? He had a promising cameo in the Brighton game last season, after all.
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:08 pm

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/you-know-exactly-ends-aston-13474425

I don't usually find much to agree with in B'ham Mail articles, but this one hits the nail on the head. The "Bruce strategy" which Wyness has signed off on is short sighted and damaging to our future development.
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:16 pm

The only person who thinks Bruce can turn things around at Villa is Bruce himself. I'm becoming annoyed and bemused at Wyness and Round for tamely accepting both the rubbish we are playing, and the rubbish Bruce is spouting. He's started beating his chest aggressively and calling his players cowards, while stating that he's the best man for the job if only his players are prepared to man up!

Why the hell is he still here?
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next