www.theclaretandbluearmy.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aston Villa V Manchester City: Sunday 8th November at 1:30PM

5 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

How will the Garde revolution start?

Aston Villa V Manchester City: Sunday 8th November at 1:30PM I_vote_lcap25%Aston Villa V Manchester City: Sunday 8th November at 1:30PM Empty 25% 
[ 1 ]
Aston Villa V Manchester City: Sunday 8th November at 1:30PM I_vote_lcap25%Aston Villa V Manchester City: Sunday 8th November at 1:30PM Empty 25% 
[ 1 ]
Aston Villa V Manchester City: Sunday 8th November at 1:30PM I_vote_lcap50%Aston Villa V Manchester City: Sunday 8th November at 1:30PM Empty 50% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 4

Poll closed

Aston Villa V Manchester City: Sunday 8th November at 1:30PM Empty Aston Villa V Manchester City: Sunday 8th November at 1:30PM

Post by Sandie Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:32 am

So here we are about to see the first match of the Garde era and in a way our season will start here. Anyone feeling excited? Our season starts here.

The problem is that it's against one of the best teams in the league so won't be an easy introduction into managing in the Premier League. City are not infallible, they've lost twice against West Ham and (heavily) against Spurs, but they are top of the league and they have so far this season had 4, 5 and even 6 goals in their favour this season on occasion. We, on the other hand, are the very definition of fallible. Just how much difference can Remi make in 5 days. Enough to claim something in this game? Or will we slump to a predictable defeat?

What team and tactics do we expect and want from the new manager? Will he tighten an error prone and porous defence? Will he stick with the failed experienced players or go with the promising foreigners? Lets look ahead to the start of a new era...
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Aston Villa V Manchester City: Sunday 8th November at 1:30PM Empty Re: Aston Villa V Manchester City: Sunday 8th November at 1:30PM

Post by Sandie Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:45 am

Don't see us winning this, but I think we'll put in a good account of ourselves (as such making the best performance of the season) and go down by the odd goal.

My team would be

Guzan

Hutton
Richards
Okore
Amavi

Sanchez
Gana
Veretout
Gil

Ayew
Gestede
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Aston Villa V Manchester City: Sunday 8th November at 1:30PM Empty Re: Aston Villa V Manchester City: Sunday 8th November at 1:30PM

Post by villabromsgrove Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:53 am

Guzan

Richards
Okore
Clark
Amavi

Veretout
Gana

Gil
Grealish
Sinclair

Ayew

I would use Traore to replace Grealish at about 65/70 minutes, Sanchez to replace either Gana or Veretout (the most knackered one) and Gestede/Kozak for Sinclair if we need a bit of physicality up front.

I don't think we are currently fit enough to press Man City consistently when they have the ball, so we have to keep as much possession as possible which means playing nice triangles on the floor. That will take some coaching after our recent schoolboy football .... but we've got to start somewhere and it might as well be against Man City, because it's a game that's already been written off.

3-1 to Man City.
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:48 pm

I've just done a bit of homework on the reason why I wouldn't play Alan Hutton (at least not in his present role of right sided supplier).

In 2015 he has played in 32 games, during which time he has (by Sherwood's own admission been the main conduit for getting the ball into the box). The end result is that he has one assist for all his bombing forward, and at the same time Villa have conceded fifty five times! 55 goals against .... 1 assist! I rest my case milord.

(I don't hate Scottish people Sandie! Very Happy)
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:19 pm

I think it's worth discussing who should be right back as it does seem to be a problem area for us. I think that Richards would be the best guy to play there, sadly he won't be keen and he's also the best guy to play at centre half. Other than him it's a pool of Hutton, Bacuna, Crespo and maybe Ilori.

I take your points on Hutton but maybe it's just a question of setting things up so that he's a fullback and not a provider? Problem has been that Sherwood favoured a 4-3-3 and by reports Garde is a fan of the 4-4-2 with midfield diamond which means that there's no wingers. I've seen Hutton have some superb games for Scotland (both in defensive and attacking senses) and those have been with a flooded midfield and wingers to cover full back. We don't play with wingers and if we did we don't really have conventional ones (I think most of our attacking players are always inclined to play in the centre).

Of the others, I'm not keen on Bacuna as a fullback, he's another one more inclined to attack and gives away stupid free kicks too often so I'd prefer him to play somewhere else. Maybe Crespo and Ilori might prove to be appealling options? I think it's either a case of trying someone new or seeing Hutton as the least poor option.

In other news, Delph played for City on Tuesday. What kind of reception will he get if he features on Sunday? I'm guessing Hostile with a capital H.
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by GadgetMan Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:33 pm

I think we will stop the rot with a respectable draw and see progress with an actual visible gameplan. Gana will feature, as will Gil and Ayew. I think 1-1/2-2

This team is a combo of what I think and what I think Garde will pick. Also worth noting it is allegedly in Richards contract that he is to be picked at CB and not RB and that was the main factor for him choosing us. I find it hard to believe, however I also think he is probably our best CB on form. So the question of RB comes down to whether we want a traditional FB or an attacking one to provide width and a supply line. If it's traditional then Hutton, if not Bacuna (unless Garde has seen something in Ilori, Crespo etc)

4-1-3-2

Guzan

Bacuna Richards Okore Amavi

Sanchez

Gill Gana Veretout

Ayew Gestede

I'd ike to see Kozak on the bench along with Ilori and no sign of Richardson, Lescott or Westwood AND Sanchez in the same team. Always either or for me.
GadgetMan
GadgetMan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:13 pm

I wouldn't mind Hutton playing right full back, if he can guarantee to play 90% defensively. There's no way he can safely overlap if Gil is playing in front of him.
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:06 pm

It will be interesting to see if Kozak is going to be involved any more under Garde.

He's the missing man of Bodymoor Heath so far and frankly I'd not be disappointed to see him reappear and Gabby to take the part of missing man.
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by South London Villan Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:50 pm

I can't wait to see this team selection.

I beleive that we will see a team reflect our manager's continental back ground.

If you look at Tim's previous, respected academy coach with a reputation of developing young talent, progressing youth and revitalising under performing older players.
As he managed Spurs briefly I think Fox, Reilly & Almstadt thought that gave him the edge over Garde when looking to replace Lambert.

They now realise he was good at talking but not the walking.

Garde, whilst not in the EPL, has proved he can do that.

I expect the team to have a French influence, I think he will get them to press harder and I don't think there will be many that started on Monday to be playing on Sunday.

Survivors of Monday starting XI, Sinclair, Bacuna, Sanchez & possibly Hutton and Guzan (although every time Guzan plays a fairy dies).
Amavi, Gana, Veretout, Gil, Richards, Ayew I think will be certainties.

I suspect the instruction will be too keep it tight and try and take the pace out of the game as they do on the continent. Whilst City did well against Sevilla in the week, they have generally struggled in europe.

Arsene will love his old chum to do him a favour by taking points off them and I reckon they would have had a chat, also, his old mentor Gerrard H is probably advising as best he can as well.

South London Villan
South London Villan
Private
Private

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:40 am

I expect to see our defence tightened up into a unit with less time spent out of position. Garde says that he's seen most of our games this season, so he can't fail to have seen how easy it is to breach our defence. We've lost seven matches by just one goal, and most of the goals were silly mistakes, so it shows where we've been literally throwing away points.
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:50 pm

I read somewhere (can't remember where now!) that City tend to perform well against teams that sit back so this is the first trap we have to mind. If Sherwood was still in charge considering the extent his testes had shrivelled and his ability to do exactly the wrong thing to win the game we'd probably have played four centre halfs and three defensive midfielders. What we need to do is press, keep the ball and impose our game on them. Nice and simple, eh?
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:37 pm

I've just tried to find some stats but they almost all depressed me, apart from one.

We are on our worst league run since football was invented in 1992, the only time we had a longer run of league defeats was back in 1963 when we lost ELEVEN successive games. That run was ended with a 3-1 win against Man City Moreover, Remi Garde won his first match at Lyon by 3-1.

What odds can I get on a 3-1 win? Very Happy

Aston Villa V Manchester City: Sunday 8th November at 1:30PM 5399805046_0d30e4dd70
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:53 pm

I'm clutching at the red and green one's in the middle of the pic. Very Happy
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by GadgetMan Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:29 pm

Brand new start (again) let's focus on our team and manager and totally ignore Delph. Complete indifference is what he deserves.

Let's hope for a sign today. I'm going for a shock 2-1 win. COME ON VILLA UTV
GadgetMan
GadgetMan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:31 pm

Aston Villa V Manchester City: Sunday 8th November at 1:30PM Ctshia10

Good team.
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next