www.theclaretandbluearmy.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pre season training discussion

4 posters

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Pre season training discussion - Page 4 Empty Re: Pre season training discussion

Post by Sandie Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:31 pm

I'm excited too. There was a bit of a buzz last season too but that totally evaporated within a few weeks. This time round without Lerner, Fox and a better manager in the dugout it has to be different.

It's time to talk about Villa again. Talking without frustration or pain.
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Pre season training discussion - Page 4 Empty Re: Pre season training discussion

Post by villabromsgrove Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:53 pm

Sandie wrote:I'm excited too. There was a bit of a buzz last season too but that totally evaporated within a few weeks. This time round without Lerner, Fox and a better manager in the dugout it has to be different.

It's time to talk about Villa again. Talking without frustration or pain.
Good post!
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim Villan Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:02 pm

I disagree with you guys regarding Petrov, He might be a little off the pace now and have enormous fitness gains to make still, however as the season gets under way I think his determination will get him to a level where he can make a positive contribution. Petrov is the epitome of a positive role model, and this will be invaluable on match days etc. Him just being around the first team will be a constant reminder to all the players of the type of effort and application that they should be putting in week in week out. Leicester proved last year that effort togetherness and appetite to win is more important that having the best players, for me it is a complete no brainer Petrov should be given a contract. You cant have enough natural leaders in a team and at the moment we have one, Man united were the best team for 2 decades for two reasons for me, they had the best manager and they had a team that was constantly packed with natural leaders, the manager can have an effect all week but when the players step onto the pitch, you need players who can lead and organise on the pitch, otherwise standards will be inconsistent.
Jim Villan
Jim Villan
Private
Private

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:42 pm

I'd love nothing more than to see him do it, him getting to the point he has is already almost miraculous. I agree that he's a strong leader. The players seem to respect him, just look at the relationship him and Grealish (who was barely even involved before Stan's retirement) that's already developed.
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:12 am

My concern about Petrov is purely down to his ability to play effectively for 90 minutes at the age of 37. If he can't do that then he becomes a 'special case'.

Having a player who can play influentially for part of a match will not be enough this season.
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:48 pm

If we attempt to give Stan a token role the person it will hurt most will be him. He wants to play and RDM is getting to run the rule over him. If RDM then things he can play some kind of playing role (even as a second choice or a sub who can come on when closing a game out then fine) at Championship level but if not, then anything else is just being disrespectful to him.
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:48 pm

Surprised there's a week between our first two friendlies. Was expecting one this midweek but there isn't one until Saturday.
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:44 pm

Sandie wrote:If we attempt to give Stan a token role the person it will hurt most will be him. He wants to play and RDM is getting to run the rule over him. If RDM then things he can play some kind of playing role (even as a second choice or a sub who can come on when closing a game out then fine) at Championship level but if not, then anything else is just being disrespectful to him.
I'm seeing a player who if he was 27 instead of 37 would still be several months off being absolutely match sharp. I love Stan to bits, and I hope we can persuade him that he can be inspirational as a figure head for our Academy.

There's a full time job there Stan, and you could make such a difference.
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:17 pm

Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:03 am

I would like to get to the Worcester match (it's being played at Stourport just 30 minutes away from me), but an earlier appointment will probably mean that I'll miss it. It looks like the young lads will be mixed in with first team players.
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:14 pm

Telford a goal up after 10 minutes.
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:38 am

What did we learn from our two matches yesterday? We have to rely on the Mail as our single source, but it's apparent we've got a hell of a lot of players!

We kick off our season three weeks today, and I will be amazed if RDM manages to achieve order out of chaos in that time.

So many players must believe that they are in with a shout and there will be considerable disappointment when the squad is announced 21 days from now. We have four more pre season matches still to play and they need to be played with a clear idea of our actual first eleven. We need to start building an understanding on the pitch, especially with our "dodgy defence" in mind.

I would say that it's too big a job to be done in a few weeks, so I expect a slow bumpy start to the season. What do you think guys?
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:47 pm

I think we might be slow starters too. For the reasons you give but also because we will have some fresh faces needing bedded in too.
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:08 pm

I think that RDM made his first mistake when he said that he would wait until after the Austrian trip to make decisions on player personnel.

Given the minimal time we have available I would suggest that videos of last season would have been far more representative than watching players in training. We know to our cost that we have players who are "hot" trainers and poor match day performers.

Matt Ritchie went to Newcastle during this "decision" period, and I'm fairly sure that Elphick could have talked him into joining him at Villa if we had got in first.

I hope I'm wrong, but I sense that manager ego may be getting in the way of getting things done.
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:14 pm

There's also the risk that judging players on pre-season training might give a false idea. I think the whole picture needs taking in to account. That's how they've performed over recent seasons and how their strengths and weaknesses suit or unsuit the English Championship. Focussing on a short period of training could always allow pisstakers and bad apples to foul the apple cart by changing their ways for a brief period to justify the continued receipt of their fat pay packets. Also, performances against Austrian amateurs and National League teams give little idea of what to expect against Championship sides.

BUT, it's still the middle of July. There is a month and a half of player trading still to come. I would not panic just yet about things. By our standards, we've done some sound early business and I feel that RDM has his ideas and irons in the fire with other players. Newcastle have done some business but they all seem to be short term signings of players who are not quite of the standard to compete at the highest level. Also, what seems like positive player trading sometimes doesn't work. There were very few complaints and a lot of plaudits for last season's (promptly completed) business but it did not end well.
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next