www.theclaretandbluearmy.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aston Villa v Stoke City : Saturday October 3rd at 3PM.

+3
Sandie
GadgetMan
villabromsgrove
7 posters

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Euphoria or Misery?

Aston Villa v Stoke City : Saturday October 3rd at 3PM. - Page 2 I_vote_lcap40%Aston Villa v Stoke City : Saturday October 3rd at 3PM. - Page 2 Empty 40% 
[ 2 ]
Aston Villa v Stoke City : Saturday October 3rd at 3PM. - Page 2 I_vote_lcap20%Aston Villa v Stoke City : Saturday October 3rd at 3PM. - Page 2 Empty 20% 
[ 1 ]
Aston Villa v Stoke City : Saturday October 3rd at 3PM. - Page 2 I_vote_lcap20%Aston Villa v Stoke City : Saturday October 3rd at 3PM. - Page 2 Empty 20% 
[ 1 ]
[ 1 ]
Aston Villa v Stoke City : Saturday October 3rd at 3PM. - Page 2 I_vote_lcap0%Aston Villa v Stoke City : Saturday October 3rd at 3PM. - Page 2 Empty 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 5

Poll closed

Aston Villa v Stoke City : Saturday October 3rd at 3PM. - Page 2 Empty Re: Aston Villa v Stoke City : Saturday October 3rd at 3PM.

Post by GadgetMan Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:37 pm

Very easy on paper mate. I appreciate the analysis and I get where you're coming from with it and agree. However as I said, we have to hope that's how TS sees things and he doesn't appear to see things the same as the majority of us thus far. Hence my scepticism that purely the odd change in players will ultimately see a change in philopshy by Sherwood. I hope you're right as the points you raise are very valid.

An example of what I'm thinking/saying is Veretout against Blues was limited completely by his instructions to sit and break up play. It wasn't until the ball and chain was taken off second half that we saw a different performance from him, many more examples with other players too. Tim not only pick the right XI he needs to rediscover the fearlessness he all too breifly showed last season, here he simply unshackled players that were being held back by tactics. Oh the irony.
GadgetMan
GadgetMan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Aston Villa v Stoke City : Saturday October 3rd at 3PM. - Page 2 Empty Re: Aston Villa v Stoke City : Saturday October 3rd at 3PM.

Post by Sandie Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:37 pm

Some quotes from today's press conference:

"Idrissa is fully fit, he's had a bit of treatment this week on his hamstring. Adama Traore is struggling, he played for the U21s on Monday he was limping one minute and fine the next."

"We can't take any risks with Adama. We need to make sure he's right."

"Rudy would have preferred us to win the game but it was great for him to score two good goals at Anfield. He needs to continue to do that and I'm sure good results will come."

"I believe Rudy can do it. He has the belief of his manager and for Rudy to score goals in a team struggling to win shows his ability."

"I know the job comes with pressure - that's part and parcel of it. I'll stand up as manager and the players must stand up as players."

"It's my job with the group of players we have to make sure we get up the league."

"It's too early to put us in a relegation battle. It's not what we wanted for the return of points. We're a young group, a new group. I'm confident we'll be okay."

He's repeating the 'work-in-progress' line too.
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by GadgetMan Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:42 pm

Lose and it's 4 points from 30 that will be worse than BOTH Mcleish and Lambert at any point of their reign. Terrible statistic. Time for talking is over. Words are cheap Tim. Show me, don't tell me!
GadgetMan
GadgetMan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:43 pm

GadgetMan wrote:I wish I had your faith it was as simple as dropping both Sanchez and Westwood for it all to click. It will be a start I'm sure. I sadly don't see Bacuna as any better than Hutton. Perhaps his final ball is better, however I also think his defending is worse.

I agree. He's also prone to giving away fouls in stupid places, I'm coming to the conclusion he's no more a full back than I am a quantum physicist. Don't really think Hutton is the answer but he's not quite as big a problem.

Both of you are making valid points on this. For me, both a change in approach and a change of personnel are needed. However, when the stakes are as high as they are getting to be for Saturday I'm not sure he will be able to set them up without the fear of losing in mind. Even though, Stoke have been a poor team for much of this season (as have we).

I just wish we'd start winning some bloody games.
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:43 pm

More detailled pre-match comments: http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~5043101,00.html

On Jack Grealish's international future…

Jack is not playing for England unless he plays for Villa, is he? It's the same for every player.

They need to play for their club side. They need to play well to be able to get picked by the England manager.

Roy is at a lot of our games. He's always looking and he's going to make that decision based on how Jack is playing for Aston Villa.

On Jack Grealish's movements in international week…

He missed the whole of pre-season.

During the last international break, he was injured so we'll use the opportunity now.

If he had been called up to the England squad then he'd have been going. He wasn't.

Roy Hodgson invited him there to introduce him to the boys and get a feel for St George's Park.

But I thought it was much better for him to stay here and work hard.

We'll use this time to get him fit for the remainder of the season.

He won't be alone. There will be a couple of boys doing the same.

On general fitness issues…

Idrissa Gana is fully fit.

He's had a bit of treatment this week on that hamstring. It's still niggling away at him but we're hoping it'll be fine.

Adama Traore is struggling.

He played in an U21 game against West Brom. He was limping one minute and the next minute he wasn't.

I had a chat with him and said 'we need to find out if you're fit' and make a decision based on that.

We'll see how it goes.

He picked up an ankle injury against Notts County.

He's come back and he still feels it a wee bit. We can't take any risk with him.

There's still a long way of this season to go and we've got to make sure he's 100% right.

On Rudy Gestede…

Rudy would have preferred us to win the Liverpool game but to score two goals at Anfield is very good, especially for him.

They were two good goals. He needs to continue to do that.

If he can, I'm sure we'll marry that up with results at the end.

The second goal was obviously a towering header. The first goal he got himself in the six-yard box to tap it in.

I like to see strikers do that. It shows a willingness to get between those posts and put the ball in the net.

Hopefully he can deliver a few more for us.

On belief in Rudy Gestede…

It is a big step up. But I believe he can do it. He has the belief of his manager.

I think he's got the belief of the supporters and he's showing that.

He's scored three goals in the Premier League. It is a very good return.

Hopefully he'll get some more.

On pressure…

It comes with the job. I take the brunt of it.

The buck stops with me. No excuses. I can't blame anyone else.

It's a results business - and we need results.

I'm calm about the situation. I know we're a work in progress.

We want to have more points than we've got. Unfortunately we haven't managed to do that.

We have to get on with it.

On Mark Hughes…

He's had ups and downs and he always comes through smiling at the end of it.

Mark is very experienced. He is exactly as a manager what he was as a player - very tough.

He knows what he wants and knows how to get it.

You learn a lot from the likes of Mark Hughes. There's Alan Pardew too.

They've all had long careers in management.

Mark Hughes is right up there among the top ones.

On his hopes…

We need to get a winning feeling.

We need to get that into this team, this squad of players.

It's about looking around the squad and seeing how I can tweak it.

I'm racking my brains of where we might do better, different formations, different players - and hopefully we can get the right one.

On his leaders…

There's a few of them.

We've got the likes of Micah Richards, I think he's taken on the mantle of being captain.

Joleon Lescott comes with a wealth of experience as well.

I know Micah has got the qualities to help this young group, that's why he's vital, Joleon too - they're both vital like a few others.

They will have to help me out.

On the good attitude of his new players…

They know they have to learn. They don't think they've cracked it. They know that this is a learning process.

They've come here to develop. It's a step up from the French League to come to the Premier League.

It's the best league in the world, the most competitive league in the world - and they've come here to learn. They're all ears.

They look you in the eye and want to continue to develop. That's pleasing.

On beating Stoke…

It's vital. We want a win and a good performance into the break.

I'll take a bad performance and win to be honest. We need to get the victory.

It's how clinical you are - how efficient you are in both boxes.

On the international break…

The time will be crucial.

There are players in the squad who missed pre-season training so we will be using this two weeks to get them in every day - getting them to a level of fitness where they need to be to get on with the rest of the season.
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:04 pm

I don't think either Hutton or Bacuna are good right backs. I prefer Bacuna because of his extra quality in the final third, although I will admit we haven't seen that from him yet this season.

Amavi is not a defensive right back either, but he's hell on wheels when he's racing forward.

The problem we have is that we need one of the two backs to be a full back, and with Amavi being so dangerous at the other end of the pitch it has to be the RB position. We need a line of three defenders to cope with fast counters, and at the moment we're getting caught with two at the back too many times.

Maybe Crespo who I believe is a more defensive right back could fill that position when he's fit. Whether he's good ebough remains to be seen.
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:13 pm

villabromsgrove wrote:The problem we have is that we need one of the two backs to be a full back, and with Amavi being so dangerous at the other end of the pitch it has to be the RB position. We need a line of three defenders to cope with fast counters, and at the moment we're getting caught with two at the back too many times.

Maybe Crespo who I believe is a more defensive right back could fill that position when he's fit.  Whether he's good ebough remains to be seen.

Completely agree. Ilori might be another answer.
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Liberty Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:09 pm

As I am the regular optimist I would like to go for my shot down in flames 3-1 win result!!

Guzan
Hutton
Clark
Richards
Amavi
Sanchez
Gana
Grealish
Gil
Ayew
Gestede

please!

Liberty
Private
Private

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:23 pm

Liberty wrote:As I am the regular optimist I would like to go for my shot down in flames 3-1 win result!!

Guzan
Hutton
Clark
Richards
Amavi
Sanchez
Gana
Grealish
Gil
Ayew
Gestede

please!
You can never rely on the truthfulness of Sherwood's press conferences, but if he was saying what he thinks then Sinclair, Lescott and Westwood will be in his team tomorrow. I like your 3-1 prediction though. Aston Villa v Stoke City : Saturday October 3rd at 3PM. - Page 2 4288271622
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:34 pm

Gabby is a 'doubt' apparently. No great loss.

#BetterWithoutGabby.
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by GadgetMan Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:25 pm

Sandie wrote:
villabromsgrove wrote:The problem we have is that we need one of the two backs to be a full back, and with Amavi being so dangerous at the other end of the pitch it has to be the RB position. We need a line of three defenders to cope with fast counters, and at the moment we're getting caught with two at the back too many times.

Maybe Crespo who I believe is a more defensive right back could fill that position when he's fit.  Whether he's good ebough remains to be seen.

Completely agree. Ilori might be another answer.

I know nothing of Crespo, but he will be another option for sure, as will Ilori, one man that I think would be ideal is Okore (if he intends to stick with a Richards/Lescott or Clark partnership) too much quality not to play. He has represented his country at RB too. Big, strong and fast, would solve the problem you were referring to VB in needing a solid RB to defend and give us 3 defenders still at the back for when Amavi bombs forward. I start to get concerned when I think a manager will constantly go against what the majority can see and pick random sides that nobody understands. That's where I'm at with Sherwood.

I'm firmly in the "I'm not at all convinced by him, but will give him until the end of November to get some kind of form from these players, HIS players" Should he not manage to get us playing considerably better and with points on board, I'll be calling for his head. Mr 50% is running at less than 20% at the moment.
GadgetMan
GadgetMan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post by GadgetMan Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:16 pm

Not Match related, but I thought I'd share. Found this on FB and love it, so figured some of you might too. UTV Come on let's kick start our season tomorrow boys!!

Aston Villa v Stoke City : Saturday October 3rd at 3PM. - Page 2 Villa_10
GadgetMan
GadgetMan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim Villan Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:10 am

We need a positive result today. We need Sherwood to give us a chance today by picking a balanced side. I wouldn't be opposed to going 3 at the back with Clark playing with Richards and Lescott, then Bacuna and Amavi to be instructed to bomb on an just get balls in to Gestede.

A standard 442 with Gestede and Ayew up top would be my preferred set up, but I just can see Sherwood being that bold at the moment. I just hope that he drops the 3 holding midfielders system as it's proved time and time again to be totally ineffective, and leaves us with no width and exposes our weaknesses in the full back position. Also by setting up in this narrow negative manner it limits our ability to get the most out of Gestede. If we set up the right way in this one I really think we've got enough to get something, if not then I think we'll be staring at a 6th defeat of the season.
Jim Villan
Jim Villan
Private
Private

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:43 am

Jim Villan wrote:We need a positive result today. We need Sherwood to give us a chance today by picking a balanced side. I wouldn't be opposed to going 3 at the back with Clark playing with Richards and Lescott, then Bacuna and Amavi to be instructed to bomb on an just get balls in to Gestede.

A standard 442 with Gestede and Ayew up top would be my preferred set up, but I just can see Sherwood being that bold at the moment. I just hope that he drops the 3 holding midfielders system as it's proved time and time again to be totally ineffective, and leaves us with no width and exposes our weaknesses in the full back position. Also by setting up in this narrow negative manner it limits our ability to get the most out of Gestede. If we set up the right way in this one I really think we've got enough to get something, if not then I think we'll be staring at a 6th defeat of the season.
I couldn't have put it better JV. Aston Villa v Stoke City : Saturday October 3rd at 3PM. - Page 2 205019816
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:54 am

With the international break up next, it's going to be a very long two weeks ahead of us if we lose today. Chelsea away in a fortnight will be a distant and depressing thought.
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum