www.theclaretandbluearmy.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Match day thread: Crystal Palace v Aston Villa .... Selhurst Park Sat August 22nd 3:00pm kick off.

+15
Jim Villan
Morddred
South London Villan
Sandie
stevieg179avfc
haden18
villabromsgrove
gdav
Chris Harte
Obnoxious Lion
Leafs1201
ejs1111
Jimmycarr
Liberty
lukevilla
19 posters

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Can we beat Palace?

Match day thread: Crystal Palace v Aston Villa .... Selhurst Park Sat August 22nd 3:00pm kick off. - Page 5 I_vote_lcap67%Match day thread: Crystal Palace v Aston Villa .... Selhurst Park Sat August 22nd 3:00pm kick off. - Page 5 Empty 67% 
[ 8 ]
Match day thread: Crystal Palace v Aston Villa .... Selhurst Park Sat August 22nd 3:00pm kick off. - Page 5 I_vote_lcap25%Match day thread: Crystal Palace v Aston Villa .... Selhurst Park Sat August 22nd 3:00pm kick off. - Page 5 Empty 25% 
[ 3 ]
Match day thread: Crystal Palace v Aston Villa .... Selhurst Park Sat August 22nd 3:00pm kick off. - Page 5 I_vote_lcap8%Match day thread: Crystal Palace v Aston Villa .... Selhurst Park Sat August 22nd 3:00pm kick off. - Page 5 Empty 8% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 12

Poll closed

Match day thread: Crystal Palace v Aston Villa .... Selhurst Park Sat August 22nd 3:00pm kick off. - Page 5 Empty Re: Match day thread: Crystal Palace v Aston Villa .... Selhurst Park Sat August 22nd 3:00pm kick off.

Post by Sandie Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:01 pm

Disappointing.

I don't think we offered enough going forward (at least before Adama came on) with Gabby lumbering round and Gestade being limited to being the target for long balls. Hopefully, we'll sort that out soon. Adama is raw but looks a talent already. I think the problem with the defense is that both of our full backs are guys that like getting forward (they are almost wingbacks) more than defending. Never been sure that it's Bacuna's best position, to be honest.
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Match day thread: Crystal Palace v Aston Villa .... Selhurst Park Sat August 22nd 3:00pm kick off. - Page 5 Empty Re: Match day thread: Crystal Palace v Aston Villa .... Selhurst Park Sat August 22nd 3:00pm kick off.

Post by GadgetMan Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:03 pm

Gutted by that.

Terrible defending for both goals and on balance we deserved a draw, but you can't give away soft goals and expect to get points.

Traore a huge plus when he came on. Grealish was very good until he tired. Sanchez should have stayed on for Westwood (who was poor today IMO) Gestede has a lot to prove, Gabby needs to be dropped NOW!!!

I'll go and lick my wounds and kick a pillow and be back with more thoughts..
GadgetMan
GadgetMan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:05 pm

I was disappointed with Sherwood and Wilkins today, we set up for a draw and didn't change the team around when Palace over ran us in the second half. Adama looked just like his youtube video when he came on, but why didn't Ayew replace a knackered Gabby?

We don't defend well enough to set out to contain teams. Sort it out Tim!
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:08 pm

So far this season we've played three teams that our management have obviously considered to be better than us. Otherwise why would we set out to play this way?
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by haden18 Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:08 pm

Why does everyone defend Guzan? Amavi was at fault for the goal, but it was Guzans poor communication, not Bacunas error that led to the corner in the first place. Bacuna had a good game btw. Yeah, thats right, that sentence isnt illegal.
haden18
haden18
Private
Private

Back to top Go down

Post by GadgetMan Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:45 pm

haden18 wrote:Why does everyone defend Guzan? Amavi was at fault for the goal, but it was Guzans poor communication, not Bacunas error that led to the corner in the first place. Bacuna had a good game btw. Yeah, thats right, that sentence isnt illegal.

Did someone say it was illegal? Haha! As for Guzan always been defended, if you're on Twitter you'll see he has had a total pasting all last season and throughout the summer. I personally see him as limited, communication wise, distribution, understanding of the game. Should have hit it long when he gave it to Amavi who made a total arse of it.

Bitterly disappointing to lose that. As VB said the management weren't quick enough to change things and when they did they took off our best midfielder today. I'd have had AW off. Gabby would have gone at HT for Ayew for me and shouldn't stsrt next week. Traore was a massive plus. God defeats hurt when you start caring again don't they? Got so numb under PL, still getting used to giving so much of a damn again!! Match day thread: Crystal Palace v Aston Villa .... Selhurst Park Sat August 22nd 3:00pm kick off. - Page 5 1745778295 that sums up how I feel.
GadgetMan
GadgetMan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post by haden18 Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:51 pm

GadgetMan wrote:
haden18 wrote:Why does everyone defend Guzan? Amavi was at fault for the goal, but it was Guzans poor communication, not Bacunas error that led to the corner in the first place. Bacuna had a good game btw. Yeah, thats right, that sentence isnt illegal.

Did someone say it was illegal? Haha! As for Guzan always been defended, if you're on Twitter you'll see he has had a total pasting all last season and throughout the summer. I personally see him as limited, communication wise, distribution, understanding of the game. Should have hit it long when he gave it to Amavi who made a total arse of it.

Bitterly disappointing to lose that. As VB said the management weren't quick enough to change things and when they did they took off our best midfielder today. I'd have had AW off. Gabby would have gone at HT for Ayew for me and shouldn't stsrt next week. Traore was a massive plus. God defeats hurt when you start caring again don't they? Got so numb under PL, still getting used to giving so much of a damn again!! Match day thread: Crystal Palace v Aston Villa .... Selhurst Park Sat August 22nd 3:00pm kick off. - Page 5 1745778295 that sums up how I feel.  

See, i do see some criticism on twitter, but ive also just seen someone claim the "blame guzan brigade" is out. Said its easy to blame our "scapegoat" instead of Bacuna. Piss off. Yeah they do haha, really feeling deflated by that one!!
haden18
haden18
Private
Private

Back to top Go down

Post by GadgetMan Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:55 pm

haden18 wrote:
GadgetMan wrote:

See, i do see some criticism on twitter, but ive also just seen someone claim the "blame guzan brigade" is out. Said its easy to blame our "scapegoat" instead of Bacuna. Piss off. Yeah they do haha, really feeling deflated by that one!!

Twitter is very black and white isn't it?! I think the 140 characters add to that. Bacuna is a great versatile lad and didn't do a great deal wrong. I'm not convinced he's a top class right back. Jack of all trades, master of none is how I see him.

I'm off to the transfer thread to add what else I think we need (hint hint) haha! I'll come back and give some player ratings. Anyone else want to do theirs?
GadgetMan
GadgetMan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post by haden18 Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:03 pm

Oh i agree he didnt boss it, but he hardly put a foot wrong! I couldnt right now, blinded by bitterness
haden18
haden18
Private
Private

Back to top Go down

Post by GadgetMan Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:14 pm

haden18 wrote:Oh i agree he didnt boss it, but he hardly put a foot wrong! I couldnt right now, blinded by bitterness

Haha! I feel your pain mate, that stung!!
GadgetMan
GadgetMan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Match day thread: Crystal Palace v Aston Villa .... Selhurst Park Sat August 22nd 3:00pm kick off. - Page 5 Empty AGREE

Post by stevieg179avfc Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:17 pm

GadgetMan wrote:Gutted by that.

Terrible defending for both goals and on balance we deserved a draw, but you can't give away soft goals and expect to get points.

Traore a huge plus when he came on. Grealish was very good until he tired. Sanchez should have stayed on for Westwood (who was poor today IMO) Gestede has a lot to prove, Gabby needs to be dropped NOW!!!

I'll go and lick my wounds and kick a pillow and be back with more thoughts..

Totally agree with everything you have put there. Sanchez was a close second to jack for our best player today. he still seemed to have plenty of energy unlike gueye who went awol second half for no fault of his own. As for westwood ... I would say it was one of his worst games for us. his set pieces are and have always been the worst part of his game but today was unforgivable with Gestede in the mix. As for speedy Ganzales when he came on. he initially was unreal then took two or three players out of the game as they were so scared of him... so what did gabby do with the extra space ? NOTHING....Gil would have loved the time and space created but never got a chance...WHY?? Frustrating and very easy to see our short falls up front. .... To coin a phrase. "we go again"
stevieg179avfc
stevieg179avfc
Private
Private

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:27 pm

villabromsgrove wrote:I was disappointed with Sherwood and Wilkins today, we set up for a draw and didn't change the team around when Palace over ran us in the second half. Adama looked just like his youtube video when he came on, but why didn't Ayew replace a knackered Gabby?

I agree. I think that we made a mistake setting out with three defensive midfielders. That left with little creativity for the attacking three to feed on. Our game plan became focussed on long balls to Gestade who needed more help than he was getting. We might have been able to get away with that if we had Benteke up front but he was a special kind of player and even he needed time to get up to speed with the premier league - as Gestade currently needs. At least with Notts County and Sunderland coming up they are teams we won't pay too much respect to.

As for Gabby, I'm running out of ways to say he's poor and should be dropped. I respect his loyalty. I respect him for how good he was for us under MoN (over 5 years ago!) and how he played a big role in keeping us up later on in Houllier's season. None of that was recent and as things stand he gets neither goals nor assists and even his pace has dropped off somewhat. If he adds falling over a lot to his game he could probably do a passable service of an Emile Heskey Tribute Act. I don't understand why he keeps getting picked when there are players who could give us so much more sat in reserve (even leaving aside those who are at other clubs and could be brought in). Sinclair, whilst far from a finished article, has proved he can chip in with goals and is, I'd argue, so much more convincing as a wide forward or strike partner. Ayew is new to the league and deserves a chance to impress and get used to the step up. Kozak is a bit too much like Gestade for them to be a good partnership but he deserves a place on the bench. And then there's Adama who has got us all excited and looked great today. Add to that Gestade, and we have FIVE players who all deserve a place in the matchday 18 more than Gabby as far as I'm concerned. It begs the question of why Gabby gets picked? Is Sherwood scared to drop him because he's been with the club so long and will probably have power among and the respect of his team mates? I'm hoping it's not that.

Anyway, I think that bit about Gabby has turned into something of a rant for which I apologise. To summarise, I think he's my scapegoat rather than Guzan or Bacuna!
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by South London Villan Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:23 pm

Had to sit with the Palace fa s so slightly different perspective.

First half we were most dangerous down the flanks and getting behind them, Grealish done well in the first half down their left and when he could be bothered so was Gabby.
3rd game in succession Gabby shows how frustrating he is, pace in abundance but finishes like a conference striker. He should have had 2 today.
Guzan should have had the vision to see Amavi was going to get closed down and had limited options and pumped the ball forward.
Our players lack football intelligence, second ball and knock downs we never get there.
We pumped the ball to Rudy but because Gabby can't judge the play it went nowhere and we lost posession.
If Dwight Gayle is available, buy him.
South London Villan
South London Villan
Private
Private

Back to top Go down

Post by GadgetMan Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:56 pm

Sandie wrote:
villabromsgrove wrote:I was disappointed with Sherwood and Wilkins today, we set up for a draw and didn't change the team around when Palace over ran us in the second half. Adama looked just like his youtube video when he came on, but why didn't Ayew replace a knackered Gabby?

I agree. I think that we made a mistake setting out with three defensive midfielders. That left with little creativity for the attacking three to feed on. Our game plan became focussed on long balls to Gestade who needed more help than he was getting. We might have been able to get away with that if we had Benteke up front but he was a special kind of player and even he needed time to get up to speed with the premier league - as Gestade currently needs. At least with Notts County and Sunderland coming up they are teams we won't pay too much respect to.

As for Gabby, I'm running out of ways to say he's poor and should be dropped. I respect his loyalty. I respect him for how good he was for us under MoN (over 5 years ago!) and how he played a big role in keeping us up later on in Houllier's season. None of that was recent and as things stand he gets neither goals nor assists and even his pace has dropped off somewhat. If he adds falling over a lot to his game he could probably do a passable service of an Emile Heskey Tribute Act. I don't understand why he keeps getting picked when there are players who could give us so much more sat in reserve (even leaving aside those who are at other clubs and could be brought in). Sinclair, whilst far from a finished article, has proved he can chip in with goals and is, I'd argue, so much more convincing as a wide forward or strike partner. Ayew is new to the league and deserves a chance to impress and get used to the step up. Kozak is a bit too much like Gestade for them to be a good partnership but he deserves a place on the bench. And then there's Adama who has got us all excited and looked great today. Add to that Gestade, and we have FIVE players who all deserve a place in the matchday 18 more than Gabby as far as I'm concerned. It begs the question of why Gabby gets picked? Is Sherwood scared to drop him because he's been with the club so long and will probably have power among and the respect of his team mates? I'm hoping it's not that.

Anyway, I think that bit about Gabby has turned into something of a rant for which I apologise. To summarise, I think he's my scapegoat rather than Guzan or Bacuna!

Top ranting haha!! I'm totally bemused as to why Gabby is a shoe in, I can only hope once Ayew is upto speed and Gil fit, Adama playing (hopefully very soon after today) that there won't be much room for a tired Gabby to start. If he is starting in a month (without performing superbly) then I'll be asking questions of TS.
GadgetMan
GadgetMan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post by GadgetMan Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:59 pm

South London Villan wrote:Had to sit with the Palace fa s so slightly different perspective.

First half we were most dangerous down the flanks and getting behind them, Grealish done well in the first half down their left and when he could be bothered so was Gabby.
3rd game in succession Gabby shows how frustrating he is, pace in abundance but finishes like a conference striker. He should have had 2 today.
Guzan should have had the vision to see Amavi was going to get closed down and had limited options and pumped the ball forward.
Our players lack football intelligence, second ball and knock downs we never get there.
We pumped the ball to Rudy but because Gabby can't judge the play it went nowhere and we lost posession.
If Dwight Gayle is available, buy him.

I commented on the lack of footballing intelligence shown too. I'm hoping the team, are still so absorbed with gelling that maybe they're forgetting some basics? Let's hope so. I don't thinl we will see much more from Gabby, however you'd hope some of the new lads might step up and show some more ability.

Guzan should of ignored Amavi's call for the ball and gone long, however doesn't excuse Jordan's poor judgement either. Very poor defending for both goals, something we're consistently good at.
GadgetMan
GadgetMan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next