www.theclaretandbluearmy.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Liverpool V Aston Villa... Sat Sep 26th 3:00 Kick Off

+6
Kimbo
GadgetMan
South London Villan
villabromsgrove
Liberty
Jim Villan
10 posters

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

What will happen against Liverpool?

Liverpool V Aston Villa... Sat Sep 26th 3:00 Kick Off  I_vote_lcap29%Liverpool V Aston Villa... Sat Sep 26th 3:00 Kick Off  Empty 29% 
[ 2 ]
Liverpool V Aston Villa... Sat Sep 26th 3:00 Kick Off  I_vote_lcap57%Liverpool V Aston Villa... Sat Sep 26th 3:00 Kick Off  Empty 57% 
[ 4 ]
Liverpool V Aston Villa... Sat Sep 26th 3:00 Kick Off  I_vote_lcap14%Liverpool V Aston Villa... Sat Sep 26th 3:00 Kick Off  Empty 14% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 7

Poll closed

Liverpool V Aston Villa... Sat Sep 26th 3:00 Kick Off  Empty Liverpool V Aston Villa... Sat Sep 26th 3:00 Kick Off

Post by Sandie Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:58 am

So having done the required against Blues we must return to league action on Saturday hoping to add to a somewhat meagre points tally.

We go up against Liverpool who are one of the 'names' of the top flight who have past glories that can appear daunting. In my opinion all is not lost, though. Liverpool have stuttered this season and they find themselves lying in 13th place with their last two home outings being a draw with Norwich and a 3-0 reverse to West Ham. Moreover, they are managed by Brendan 'Brenda' Rodgers, a man nearer to David Brent than Alex Ferguson when it comes to skillful management of footballers and seemingly a perennial front runner in the betting on the Premier League sack race. I'm sure you'll all remember Tim memorably out-tacticing him last season in the FA Cup semi-final. However, that's not to down play them. Liverpool have some great players in their side. We know all about Benteke (will he be fit?) and they also have Daniel Sturridge back from long term injury. Will our creaking defence cope with those two?

So what do you think will happen on Saturday? Will we spring to an unexpected victory that will increase the pressure on Brenda? Or will we slump to an expected defeat? What players would you like to see come into the team? Have Ayew and Veretout impressed enough against Blues to earn a start?  Will Gana and Traore finally be fit? Plenty to talk about ahead of Saturday and the big match.
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Liverpool V Aston Villa... Sat Sep 26th 3:00 Kick Off  Empty Re: Liverpool V Aston Villa... Sat Sep 26th 3:00 Kick Off

Post by Sandie Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:01 am

I'm going to play the cautious optimist. Optimistic because I'm not going to say we'll lose but cautious because I'm going to say we'll get a creditable draw.

Liverpool 1-1 Aston Villa

Benteke for them and Gestede for us.
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Liverpool V Aston Villa... Sat Sep 26th 3:00 Kick Off  Empty Re: Liverpool V Aston Villa... Sat Sep 26th 3:00 Kick Off

Post by Jim Villan Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:40 am

Draw would do for me Sandie, just need to get something to get a bit of confidence on a premier league match day.
Jim Villan
Jim Villan
Private
Private

Back to top Go down

Post by Liberty Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:32 pm

With Benteke out and a confidence boosting derby win behind us I'm unsurprisingly going for a 1-2 win!

same side that started the 2nd half against SHA will do for me + Adama as a 2nd half impact scare the pants off you sub!

Liberty
Private
Private

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:40 pm

Win lose or draw we need to play well. I don't expect anything from this match, but if we play our best game, anything can happen. I'm going for a narrow loss.
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:57 pm

A bit of speculation about Liverpool sounding out Ancelotti to take over. Might unsettle them a bit (though the club have denied the story)?

Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by South London Villan Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:22 pm

With Liverpool playing Extra time against Carlisle heres to lots of tired legs.
South London Villan
South London Villan
Private
Private

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:42 pm

Some stats:
http://www.fourfourtwo.com/statszone/8-2015/matches/803223/pre-match#:bjPUtbVfaFqZbA

• None of the last eight meetings between Aston Villa and Liverpool in the Barclays Premier League have ended as a home win (six away wins and two draws).

• Daniel Sturridge has scored in both of his appearances against Aston Villa for the Reds.

• Simon Mignolet has kept a clean sheet in 12 of his 25 Premier League appearances in 2015 - only Joe Hart (12) has as many in this calendar year.

• Villa have scored in their last eight successive Premier League away games; this after failing to score in the previous six before this run.

• Liverpool are on a four game winless run in the Premier League (L2 D2) - the last time they failed to win five in a row in the PL under Brendan Rodgers was in his first five games as boss (L3 D2).

And if you want to go really statistical: http://www.whoscored.com/Matches/959795/Preview/England-Premier-League-2015-2016-Liverpool-Aston-Villa

• Villa are unbeaten in their last 4 visits to Anfield and this certainly looks likely to be a make or break game for the Liverpool boss, but the hosts certainly still have the personnel to cause the away side real problems.

Match Forecast
Aston Villa will steal the ball from the opposition often
Liverpool will score as a result of individual skill
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:34 pm

Veretout and Ayew need to play to continue their encouraging progress.
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:48 pm

Aye - I'd definitely put Veretout into midfield and pick Ayew ahead of Gabby (who's listed as an injury doubt anyway). In another thread Gadgetman said we shouldn't play Gil and Grealish in the same side and I'm inclined to agree even though it's a shame as those two are our outstanding natural talents. This should definitely be the case against Liverpool as all-out attack is a bit too much of a risk. I know we all want to have our two most exciting players in the team but it costs us width as they both have an inclination to come inside when they attack.
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:17 pm

I'd definitely start Veretout, but I think Ayew should get another 45 minutes second half, so that he gets to run at L'pool's tired legs. He's possibly not quite ready for 90 minutes, and I don't want to see his confidence damaged by being subbed off. It doesn't look as though Adama's ready yet according to PhysioRoom.
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:45 pm

Same for Gueye. Surprised that seemingly minor injuries have dragged out for so long.
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:58 pm

Sandie wrote:Same for Gueye. Surprised that seemingly minor injuries have dragged out for so long.
Gueye's been sent back to France to get expert treatment. It seemed we tried to get him back too quickly and it did more damage to his hamstring.
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:37 am

At least we can avoid the ex player syndrome now that Benteke's injured. Sod's law would have seen a goal or two from him.
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by South London Villan Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:54 pm

This will be a game that is all about the character of both sides and manager's.
Aston Villa need to kick on from the second half performance and confidence boosting win against Small Heath and turn up the heat on the precarious Brendan Rogers.
Liverpool will also be looking for a reaction after the leg sapping mid week frustration they suffered against League 2 Carlisle and poor recent performances that have resulted in great, vocal criticism of the players and management.
My concern is that whenever a team needs a response and a performance to proove doubters wrong they always get it from Aston Villa.
Without Benteke Liverpool will have to change their style and formation and this is where we have struggled.
Our recent success against Liverpool was in no small part down to Benteke hustling and bullying Skrtel and I can't see anyone within our current squad who will have the same effect.
Gomez and Clyne have shown promise but are prone to giving away cheap fouls in dangerous positions outside the box, I am yet to se us produce anything like effective from a set piece this season.
South London Villan
South London Villan
Private
Private

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next