www.theclaretandbluearmy.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roberto Di Matteo: Ex-Aston Villa Manager

4 posters

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Roberto Di Matteo: Ex-Aston Villa Manager - Page 3 Empty Re: Roberto Di Matteo: Ex-Aston Villa Manager

Post by villabromsgrove Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:29 pm

RDM has said several times recently that "our players are the right age for a promotion push". He's right apart from one thing .... they're the right age right now, but with the three keepers that we chose to start the season with, promotion is probably going to have to wait a couple of seasons. By then we will be looking at a team with some creaking bones dragging itself round the pitch for 90 minutes!

I know I'm just repeating myself, but it's so frustrating that we didn't have the common sense to sign a big experienced nailed on number one keeper when we had the opportunity.
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Roberto Di Matteo: Ex-Aston Villa Manager - Page 3 Empty Re: Roberto Di Matteo: Ex-Aston Villa Manager

Post by Sandie Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:03 pm

I'm sticking by my view that RDM's big mistake so far has been the midfield. If Jedinak and Tshibola don't get fit soon Gardner and Westwood look like players who will cost a manager his job.
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:49 pm

Both areas (Central midfield and Keeper) are really weak. Hopefully Steve Round will get it right in January, but that will probably be too late for any serious promotion hopes.
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:05 pm

For a manager who has so much attacking talent at his disposal, RDM has next to no idea how to use it. It's started to seem to me like we have too many forwards and try to shoehorn them all on to the pitch. If you want to play one or two up top don't play four sodding strikers to achieve it. They're all good players just not being well used.
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:55 am

Sandie wrote:For a manager who has so much attacking talent at his disposal, RDM has next to no idea how to use it. It's started to seem to me like we have too many forwards and try to shoehorn them all on to the pitch. If you want to play one or two up top don't play four sodding strikers to achieve it. They're all good players just not being well used.
RDM was not the appointment we both wanted, but when his backroom team was announced I think we were both happier that the three of them would add their collective knowledge together. That does not appear to be happening, and I worry that if RDM continues to try to impose his 'brand' of football on these players we will struggle to put points on the board. Seven games is a very short period of time in which to make a judgement, but the evidence of our own eyes and ears is not encouraging. If Di Matteo does manage to put together a reasonably balanced side from this squad (I'm beginning to doubt that he can) then his natural defensive footballing brain will make it very difficult for us to play catch up.

Do we give it time (if so, how much?) or is action necessary asap?
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:18 pm

I think it would be foolish to sack a manager so soon though warning signs are there. Bear in mind that we haven't won since the second game so we don't seem to be going in the right direction. I would give him five more games and hope the form in those five is better than the first seven. I'd be looking for a couple of wins from the team. I think to get that he will need to get over a couple of things and picking certain players.
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:57 am

I think RDM has to pick a 'normal' team tomorrow, with as many round pegs in round holes as possible. Freshen the team in the second half with like for like substitutions. Football is a relatively simple game.
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:27 pm

And stay away from his beloved tactic of TMFS (Too Many F***ing Strikers).
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:25 am

Sandie wrote:And stay away from his beloved tactic of TMFS (Too Many F***ing Strikers).
I'm beginning to think that RDM doesn't think tactics, shape, balance etc are particularly relevant to winning a football match.

Score the first goal and park the bus ....score the first goal and park the bus .... score the first goal and park the bus .... and repeat for the next thirty eight games!
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:11 pm

New tactics today .... don't bother to score the first goal .... just wander around aimlessly for most of the match before adopting panic mode at around about the usual time. They followed your instructions to the letter RDM.
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:37 pm

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ipswich-0-aston-villa-0-11900548?

When I read this it sounded like a replay of Eric Black's post match interviews last season. These would appear to be the words of a manager hoping to avoid relegation, rather than planning to fire us up the league. Am I over reacting?
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:36 pm

It shouldn't be the attitude of someone managing one of the biggest clubs in the division he finds himself in especially after the money he has been given.

What will DR. Tony make of it? Is Roberto's coat on a shoogly peg?
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:24 am

Eight games is not a long time to show what you're made of as a manager, but it's been such a smack in the face for fans to see a weak and wobbly Villa continue to turn up on match days that questions are going to be asked. Birmingham are currently fifth with a much weaker squad, so it would appear that we're a long way from even getting the basics right.

We play Newcastle at VP next so it's not going to be easy to get our next win. There must now be "what if" conversations going on at boardroom level.
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:20 am

I think the board need to think of a cut off point and a minimum target for points by then.
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:44 am

Sandie wrote:I think the board need to think of a cut off point and a minimum target for points by then.
I think that Dr T, Wyness and Round need to sit down with RDM and have a full evaluation of what's happened so far, and what is going to happen over the next few weeks.

I get the impression that we are witnessing "trial and error" selection and tactics on a par with the worst of the Sherwood era. If that is the case then I can't see how (based on current evidence) RDM can convince the board that he knows what he's doing, or can even display a clear plan of action. If there's a problem that we don't know about it needs to be solved. If it's down to inadequate management then decisions need to be made.

A clearly defined timeline, allied to firm targets would seem the fairest way forward. It might however mean that promotion would be unachievable this season (whatever action was then taken) if those targets weren't met.
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next