www.theclaretandbluearmy.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Next Villa Manager, Who do you want (With poll)

+5
danclare82
Chris Harte
South London Villan
avfcff1982
GadgetMan
9 posters

Page 1 of 13 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Who do you want as the next Villa manager?

Next Villa Manager, Who do you want (With poll)  I_vote_lcap36%Next Villa Manager, Who do you want (With poll)  Empty 36% 
[ 4 ]
Next Villa Manager, Who do you want (With poll)  I_vote_lcap18%Next Villa Manager, Who do you want (With poll)  Empty 18% 
[ 2 ]
Next Villa Manager, Who do you want (With poll)  I_vote_lcap9%Next Villa Manager, Who do you want (With poll)  Empty 9% 
[ 1 ]
Next Villa Manager, Who do you want (With poll)  I_vote_lcap0%Next Villa Manager, Who do you want (With poll)  Empty 0% 
[ 0 ]
Next Villa Manager, Who do you want (With poll)  I_vote_lcap36%Next Villa Manager, Who do you want (With poll)  Empty 36% 
[ 4 ]
Next Villa Manager, Who do you want (With poll)  I_vote_lcap0%Next Villa Manager, Who do you want (With poll)  Empty 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 11

Poll closed

Next Villa Manager, Who do you want (With poll)  Empty Next Villa Manager, Who do you want (With poll)

Post by GadgetMan Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:15 pm

It looks like things are going south pretty fast with Sherwood on and off the pitch. Given that I figured it wouldn't hurt to take a look at the potential candidates should we pRt ways with TS.

Here are a few mentioned so far.

Brendan Rodgers
David Moyes
Reme Garde (my choice at the current time and with the squad we have)
Di Matteo
Nigel Pearson (shudder)

Who should/could we realistically add to this list?

Here's a little on Garde. Knows Fox and Henrik from his Arsenal days too. Not to mention our French contingent.

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/why-arsene-wengers-protege-would-be-perfect-man-rejuvenate-newcastle#:kEuzy6h2qw6blA

Last edited by GadgetMan on Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
GadgetMan
GadgetMan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Next Villa Manager, Who do you want (With poll)  Empty Re: Next Villa Manager, Who do you want (With poll)

Post by Sandie Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:48 pm

It's not the time for a gamble. We took a gamble when we replaced Lambert and we can see where that's getting us.

Brendan Rodgers: Just about the only name being linked with it by the press with Tim still in place. I'm not a fan, he talks like David Brent and is very tactically inconsistent and indecisive. That said, by accounts he has worked in a structure similar to what we currently have and some people seem to rate him. Maybe he can shine free of the pressure at Liverpool?

David Moyes: On the surface of it, he's the type of man I'd want. A solid premiership manager who you'd hope be able to stabilise the club. I know he's popular with Lerner and we've thought about him before. That said, I wonder just where his head is at after United, he's not doing tremendously well in Spain, perhaps he's lost his mojo? Perhaps he's happy to be away from the glare of the UK media and doesn't want to go back to managing in the UK yet? He turned down Sunderland supposedly. How would he feel about our management structure? He's an old fashioned type of manager and might not like working with a Sporting Director and Director of Recruitment.

Remi Garde: He sounds great, his tactics would fit in with our side and he could probably work with our players better than Sherwood has. Thing is, you always hear great things with managers like him before they come in to the Premier League but often results are not as good as the hype. Is the Premier League relegation battle the place for a manager to come into a new country, with a different type of football and adjust to that? In short, too big a gamble for me, he's more like the next manager we should look for once the club has been stabilised.

Di Matteo: Not keen. He certainly wasn't well thought of at Albion by the end of his time there. It sounded a lot like things there were like how things are now with Sherwood...

Pearson: He did well keeping Leicester up but I just have the feeling (not difficult to get) he just isn't a nice guy. He could just end up upsetting people...

In conclusion, I have question marks over all of them. Helpful, I am not.
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Next Villa Manager, Who do you want (With poll)  Empty Re: Next Villa Manager, Who do you want (With poll)

Post by avfcff1982 Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:54 pm

After reading the fourfourtwo article, I'm sure Garde would be an excellent acquisition. He didn't fancy the Newcastle job, maybe the interfering Ashley put him off, so would he be happy with the way Lerner "runs" Villa? But yep, come on down Monsieur Garde.

I see Ancelotti was mentioned on Twitter, somebody I would give up a night's curry to see as villa manager, his record speaks for itself, but again, in the league position we're in, would he relish it?

I've gone off Rodgers, I think he'd be another Lambert, not Moyes, he's the nearly man, we've had enough of them.

Time will tell, if Sherwood picks up a few points, they club will back their pick.
avfcff1982
avfcff1982
Private
Private

Back to top Go down

Post by GadgetMan Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:48 pm

I take your points re risk on board Sandie. I think most come with risk at VP these days, just a case of a sliding scale. For me, I don't think Garde comes as any more of a risk than say Moyes. Whilst not having managed here, he's played and coached and the unknown of his EPL Experience (The last 4 with EPL experience haven't gone to plan) is in most part offset by his apparent ready made approach to work with the set of players we have and the system (off field with in place) Sometimes, you just get the right fit and for me, this 'feels' like one of those times.

I could very easily be wrong though and it's the toss of a coin probably. I'd rather take my chance on a winner without specific EPL Manangment exp than someone lije Moyes who has had limited success (yes he kept Everton there or thereabouts, but never won anything and we all know what happened at MU) and will perhaps alwys bear the scars of his time at OT.

Out of the names above, it would be the first time in Lerner's tenure where an appointment would show a cohesive plan (We've signalled our intent to go with statistics, youth and seemingly french imports in the off field set up we have) So let's not rip up the whole plan and start a new 'vision' a la houllier to McLeish to Lambert (young and hungry) to (old and cheap) etc etc! Garde ticks pretty much all of the boxes except EPL experience and as I said that didn't work out too well for the last few guys.

GadgetMan
GadgetMan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:51 pm

Aye, I think the type of experience is as important as experience itself. Houllier was a manager who's peak was behind him, McLeish's experience was one of one decent season and then relegation, Lambert's experience was one decent season and I hesitate to use the word experience in relation to Sherwood's six months at Spurs. I just think there have been so many supposedly decent foreign coaches pitched into relegation battles and failed to come off. Just look at Meulensteen, Solskjaer and Magath in recent seasons. You can argue they all had different issues. Meulensteen and Solskjaer were both inexperienced full stop even outside of the premier league. Magath seemed to have completely the wrong attitude and approach. Beware the flavour of the month. People like Pochetino, Laudrup and Koeman have done well but they did so at middling clubs with a bit less pressure on them. Maybe they also all had something more about them, though.

Still, I think we're underperforming at the moment. You might argue that whilst we have some decent players they're not really the players for a relegation battle. As such, we need a different type of manager from a relegation battle manager.
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by South London Villan Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:20 pm

As said in another post, I think the position we are in we need Moyes if Sherwood was to go.

His experiences at Everton will be similar to the task he faces with us, proven at our level in the Premier League.

if Ancelloti wants to manage in the Premier again though............................
South London Villan
South London Villan
Private
Private

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:29 pm

I saw somewhere that Ancelotti doesn't want/can't manage until January? Not sure of the details there but would people be willing to see Tim limp on until then and replace him then?

Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by GadgetMan Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:12 pm

Sandie wrote:I saw somewhere that Ancelotti doesn't want/can't manage until January? Not sure of the details there but would people be willing to see Tim limp on until then and replace him then?

If the two were directly linked and we were guaranteed to get Ancelotti then yes I would. He is a world class manager imo and would drag this club out of the doldrums. Won't happen sadly. Those days are over for us, or at least until Lerner goes. I'd love Ancelotti at VP
GadgetMan
GadgetMan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Harte Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:36 pm

I'd love us to take on Moyes. I just don't see it happening.

Chris Harte
Private
Private

Back to top Go down

Post by GadgetMan Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:25 pm

Chris Harte wrote:I'd love us to take on Moyes. I just don't see it happening.

Every single time we've needed a new manager and being linked to him, I've never wanted him. I can't explain it either. I totally get the reasons for those that would, I just can't find anything to be excited by with him. I wish I could.

I think I'm clambering for something more leftfield (yes it could bite us on the ass) I just want something modern and different. I don't know what that is, but it doesn't feel like Lambert, Sherwood, Rodgers or Moyes. I guess a progressive, reputable and modern, forward thinking foreign coach is what will scratch that itch for me....

I'd love DeBoer, Ancelotti, Garde, Klinsmann, Kliuvert, Bielsa, people of that ilk that would command respect and bring their personalities to VP and hopefully break this rotten cycle we've gotten into.
GadgetMan
GadgetMan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:11 pm

GadgetMan wrote:Every single time we've needed a new manager and being linked to him, I've never wanted him. I can't explain it either. I totally get the reasons for those that would, I just can't find anything to be excited by with him. I wish I could.

I think it's because he's a lot like MoN. He's what I call an old fashioned manager and like MoN his teams aren't exciting. Added to that he's a dour Scotsman (and we've had two of those recently!) and he's someone who is well known to us because he was around the premier league for over a decade. The unknown is pretty sexy to us all when it comes to both managers and playing staff. Look at the business we did in the summer and it was almost all players who are pretty much unknown to us from abroad which got everyone excited. The previous summer was all well known PL players like Richardson, Cole and Senderos which wasn't exciting at all. There's a genuine excitement in not knowing what to expect and having to go on random articles and stories from people who claim that they have seen somebody work as they follow foreign leagues. When you go by that the negatives will most often not be apparant and all the positives come to the fore. With a David Moyes we know exactly what to expect and exactly what the drawbacks are from seeing ten years of him managing Everton.

I'll be honest though, IF Sherwood goes and IF Garde (or some other random exciting foreign coach) becomes a goer then I'll probably join in the excitement. I think that kind of excitement about the unknown can just about be human nature. That said, my considered prediction (having read the tea leaves) is that Sherwood will be gone sooner rather than later and his replacement won't be an exciting foreigner (I just don't think we'll undertake an extensively thought out far-reaching selection process). My guess would be Rodgers and my preference would be Moyes.
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by GadgetMan Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:18 am

Sandie wrote:
GadgetMan wrote:Every single time we've needed a new manager and being linked to him, I've never wanted him. I can't explain it either. I totally get the reasons for those that would, I just can't find anything to be excited by with him. I wish I could.

I think it's because he's a lot like MoN. He's what I call an old fashioned manager and like MoN his teams aren't exciting. Added to that he's a dour Scotsman (and we've had two of those recently!) and he's someone who is well known to us because he was around the premier league for over a decade. The unknown is pretty sexy to us all when it comes to both managers and playing staff. Look at the business we did in the summer and it was almost all players who are pretty much unknown to us from abroad which got everyone excited. The previous summer was all well known PL players like Richardson, Cole and Senderos which wasn't exciting at all. There's a genuine excitement in not knowing what to expect and having to go on random articles and stories from people who claim that they have seen somebody work as they follow foreign leagues. When you go by that the negatives will most often not be apparant and all the positives come to the fore. With a David Moyes we know exactly what to expect and exactly what the drawbacks are from seeing ten years of him managing Everton.

I'll be honest though, IF Sherwood goes and IF Garde (or some other random exciting foreign coach) becomes a goer then I'll probably join in the excitement. I think that kind of excitement about the unknown can just about be human nature. That said, my considered prediction (having read the tea leaves) is that Sherwood will be gone sooner rather than later and his replacement won't be an exciting foreigner (I just don't think we'll undertake an extensively thought out far-reaching selection process). My guess would be Rodgers and my preference would be Moyes.

I think you're spot on. The unknown can be pretty seductive in general. I always lean to that in general life too ha!

I wouldn't be surprised this time around if we were to go foreign. We never have under Lerner, however I feel how we're set up with a continental system (Sporting Director and Recruitment Director or whatever Reilly is) will see us head down that path.

If we do stick the the well trodden path and RL is involved then I think an approach for Rodgers or Moyes would be inevitable. I think Villa would try and get Rodgers as I susoect they may see his methods being better suited to our current squad.
GadgetMan
GadgetMan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:29 pm

Almstadt and Reilly will be the big unknown in any recruitment policy, I'd agree, with player recruitment they've shown themselves to be prepared to trawl with a wide net.

With that in mind are there any foreign coaches people want to bring up? Bielsa has always been a name that leaps out to me.
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by GadgetMan Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:55 pm

Karanka strikes me as a great potential manager, not one for the here and now though.

Southgate gets mentioned whenever the Villa job comes up, again, not one for now.

This guy appears very highly thought of in the knowledgeable world of twitter. 10 mind reading and he seems a perfect fit Lucien Favre

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucien_Favre

This bit could be us. During his time at Gladbach, Favre revived a fallen giant of football, taking them from certainties for relegation to the pinnacle of world football in the Champions League.
GadgetMan
GadgetMan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:35 pm

Karanka has certainly done well at Boro but does seem very flavour of the month. Lets see him prove himself over a number of seasons. If we were looking at Championship managers I'd suggest Sean Dyche but there's a similar situation there with him. Never seen it with Southgate, TBH.

As for the Swiss guy, you missed out the bit about him leaving after losing the first five games this season Wink

That said, even though I'm not keen on bringing in a foreign manager without PL experience should Tim go I have to admit this sounds well suited:

Favre was appointed manager of Yverdon-Sport FC who were struggling at the bottom of the Nationalliga B at that stage. In 1999 he guided his side to the Nationalliga A (top tier of Swiss football, now called Swiss Super League). The following season they unexpectedly achieved fifth placed finish in the table, which is still the Yverdon-Sport FC's best ranking in the top-flight to date.

Favre was appointed FC Zürich manager. He won the Swiss Cup in 2005 beating FC Luzern in the final. The following season, Zürich ended their twenty-five-year wait for a league title with a dramatic final day victory against FC Basel to win the Swiss Super League. On 29 May 2007, after securing another Swiss title, he was awarded the title of best Swiss manager for the second year in a row.

During the 2008–09 season, he guided Hertha to an excellent fourth place position, having at his disposal the 13th biggest budget of the 2008–09 Bundesliga. In February 2009, one of the highlights of his spell in Germany was the brilliant tactical display of Hertha against FC Bayern Munich in a packed Olympic Stadium (almost 75,000 spectators). This performance allowed them to beat the erstwhile reigning German champions 2–1 and Hertha went to the top of the Bundesliga.

He took over when the team was sitting at the bottom of the league with only 16 points after 22 match days, 7 points adrift of Bundesliga safety. He instigated an immediate improvement in form and although the club still struggled, they eventually managed a narrow win against VfL Bochum in a two-legged relegation play-off to secure their place in the Bundesliga.

After that he managed a 4th, 8th, 6th and 3rd place finish. Premier League is very different from the German league in terms of competitiveness of course...
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 13 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next