www.theclaretandbluearmy.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Next Villa Manager, Who do you want (With poll)

+5
danclare82
Chris Harte
South London Villan
avfcff1982
GadgetMan
9 posters

Page 3 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Who do you want as the next Villa manager?

Next Villa Manager, Who do you want (With poll)  - Page 3 I_vote_lcap36%Next Villa Manager, Who do you want (With poll)  - Page 3 Empty 36% 
[ 4 ]
Next Villa Manager, Who do you want (With poll)  - Page 3 I_vote_lcap18%Next Villa Manager, Who do you want (With poll)  - Page 3 Empty 18% 
[ 2 ]
Next Villa Manager, Who do you want (With poll)  - Page 3 I_vote_lcap9%Next Villa Manager, Who do you want (With poll)  - Page 3 Empty 9% 
[ 1 ]
Next Villa Manager, Who do you want (With poll)  - Page 3 I_vote_lcap0%Next Villa Manager, Who do you want (With poll)  - Page 3 Empty 0% 
[ 0 ]
Next Villa Manager, Who do you want (With poll)  - Page 3 I_vote_lcap36%Next Villa Manager, Who do you want (With poll)  - Page 3 Empty 36% 
[ 4 ]
Next Villa Manager, Who do you want (With poll)  - Page 3 I_vote_lcap0%Next Villa Manager, Who do you want (With poll)  - Page 3 Empty 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 11

Poll closed

Next Villa Manager, Who do you want (With poll)  - Page 3 Empty Re: Next Villa Manager, Who do you want (With poll)

Post by GadgetMan Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:37 pm

Sandie wrote:http://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com/2015/remi-garde-in-pole-for-aston-villa-job/

Philippe Auclair is a fairly well known journalist, isn't he? Might be something in this (though there are always random reports and odds fluctuations with these things).

It's the link to Canal+ and him working as a pundit that gives me hope it could be true. Although I don't think it takes much cash to move these type of markets.
GadgetMan
GadgetMan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Next Villa Manager, Who do you want (With poll)  - Page 3 Empty Re: Next Villa Manager, Who do you want (With poll)

Post by villabromsgrove Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:43 pm

I favour Rodgers purely on the basis of the players we bought into Villa in the last transfer window. I think they are his kind of players.
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:19 pm

Remi Garde would be a natural extension of Hendrik Almstadt's buying strategy, but I worry about the time it would take him to get back up to Premier League pace and pressure, given Villa's rock bottom starting position.
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:22 pm

I'm still in the Moyes camp. An experienced PL manager like we need to hit the ground running. His last two clubs have been outside his comfort zone which could explain some of his struggles. Not saying he's a be all and end all but the outstanding candidate.

Garde would be an 'interesting' appointment. Does seem to be a bit of momentum behind it though.
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by GadgetMan Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:29 pm

I don't buy into EPL experience is needed that many speak of. What we need first and foremost is a GOOD manager with a good team with him. Many GOOD foreign coaches have come in and done a great job. The key is them being GOOD.

Any manager now will be a risk and will take a little time to get to grips with the squad. I'd argue Garde would get to grips with our squad quicker than Moyes, purely an educated guess though.

Bottom line it's a risk, but that can be said of anyone now we're rock bottom. I'm excited by the Garde link and it would be the first manager I've wanted since MON.
GadgetMan
GadgetMan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:32 pm

Sandie wrote:I'm still in the Moyes camp. An experienced PL manager like we need to hit the ground running. His last two clubs have been outside his comfort zone which could explain some of his struggles. Not saying he's a be all and end all but the outstanding candidate.

Garde would be an 'interesting' appointment. Does seem to be a bit of momentum behind it though.
Moyes would steady the ship and is one of the Premier Leagues most experienced managers, but ironically his change of fortune with an away win and 4 goals today have made him a much harder target.
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:35 pm

We're bottom of the league but not yet hopelessly cut adrift. Whoever comes in has to turn us around very quickly, and our next three fixtures mean that a new manager bounce will be hard to achieve.
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:12 pm

GadgetMan wrote:I don't buy into EPL experience is needed that many speak of. What we need first and foremost is a GOOD manager with a good team with him. Many GOOD foreign coaches have come in and done a great job. The key is them being GOOD.

I agree with that but also think many good foreign coaches have dented their reputation by going on to a troubled ship and tried to adjust to the premier league in a high pressure environment or a badly ran club. Both Magath and Muelensteen came into Fulham with decent reputations and no PL experience and sank. Maybe Solskjaer wouldn't find himself back managing at Molde if he had went to a better club than a sinking, ran by a nutter Cardiff. How many have hit the ground running by virtue of being brought in with time to get players that suit them and impress their ideas upon the squad? Genuine question but who was the last PL inexperienced coach to go into a PL relegation battle and keep the team up? I can actually think of a couple of guys with limited (but some) English league experience who have done it (Sherwood and Di Canio so the less said the better) but not many foreign coaches. I'd also say that a lot is made of Garde or a similar coach being well suited to our growing legion of foreign players but it's not just them he needs to impress his ideas upon. It's the British players we have too.

On the other side of the coin, our players are no relegation battlers so perhaps we need to take a different approach rather than appointing a battling manager. In that type of context Garde would make a little more sense and I think that he couldn't possibly be as bad as Sherwood. He's certainly a manager with a decent record so would, you'd assume, have an idea of how he wants his team to play and the best set up for players. I just think there might be a slow start if he gets appointed before we got motoring.

Not against him, just agnostic and preferring Moyes. I am honest enough to admit I don't know the first thing about him so can't really authoritatively state how good I think he is and whether he's a good choice or not.
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:32 pm

Here's a piece on Garde from a Newcastle fan back when he was linked to them: http://cominghomenewcastle.sbnation.com/2015/1/7/7506105/meeting-remi-garde-the-new-clear-favorite-to-be-toon-boss

As things stand at this moment, the odds of Remi Garde taking the reins at Newcastle United are as short as any have been since Alan Pardew left for Crystal Palace.  With only 7 betting sites still offering odds (according to oddschecker.com), the Frenchmen is being offered at evens on 3 sites, 7/2 from three others and 2/1 from the remaining site.  As indications continue to focus in on an increasing likelihood that Garde is to be the next head man at NUFC, it seems like a "Get To Know Remi Garde" post is in order.  Even though he has had only the one stop in the top spot, it seems of little use to examine his time as a player (remember Alan Pardew was a defender as a player yet perennially bossed a - GD defense at Newcastle outside the fluke 5th place year), so let's dig in to his time at Lyon.

The Remi Garde Spirit
In the three years prior to Remi Garde's taking over at Lyon, Jean-Michel Aulas' club had spent a whopping €175 million in the transfer market.  In the summer prior to Garde's first season, Lyon spent only €5 million.  It was rumored that the probability that he would not but heads with Aulas over the newly installed austerity policy factored into his being given the position in the first place.  While that may be a significant factor, it is just as probable that his extensive experience at Academy level would have been just as attractive as Lyon have made a point in recent years of developing their youth players and accelerating them to first team action.  In fact it is probably the combination of those two ideas that make him an extremely attractive candidate for Mike Ashley to take over for Alan Pardew.

The commitment of Lyon and Garde to their youth system has brought through players such as former Toon targets Clement Grenier and Alexandre Lacazette - players who contributed greatly to Garde's cup-winning Lyon sides and on whom the club will certainly profit nicely when the decision is made to move them on.  If he can draw similar results out of the likes of Adam Armstrong and other promising Toon youngsters. . . Mike Ashley will stand to make an outstanding profit.  It isn't just the faith in youth that endeared Garde to Lyon and its supporters.  It was his ability to instill faith into the squad (youth and veterans alike) that was lacking in supply walking in the footsteps of his predecessor.

When Remi Garde took charge of Lyon this season, he was given a one-year contract, told he had no money to spend and inherited a squad low on morale following a tough season under the rigid leadership of former coach Claude Puel.

Several months later, Garde has restored team spirit, has the team playing attractive, attacking football, and successfully blended in youth players while instilling a resilient streak that was lacking under Puel.

In fact, evidence of and quotes concerning the positive influence that he has had upon his squad and individual players during his time at Lyon are easy to find:

So what’s different under Garde? "The spirit," Bosnian midfielder Miralem Pjanic frankly tells FOXSoccer.com after the game. "Simply, our game has changed. We play a lot more football, and we have a lot more freedom. The coach has put it in our heads that we can play."

In fact, it seems that the positivity he brought to the squad and onto the pitch carried over into the support.  From the same Andy Brassell piece:

What a difference three months make. When Vladimir Dyadyun’s flicked effort crept into the corner of Hugo Lloris’s net, there was near silence around the Gerland as the gravity of Rubin Kazan’s early blow sunk in; save for the faraway cheer from the bench and the mere handful of Rubin supporters in the far corner of the stadium. Yet what happened next was extraordinary. There were no whistles or boos from the stand, but a swell of chanting. "Lyonnais, Lyonnais, Lyonnais!" Lyon’s fans were – and are – firmly behind their team.

As Newcastle fans, you will probably be extremely surprised that the Lyon fans' exhortations didn't end up costing their club that match.  In fact, after conceding an early away goal, the team came back and ended up taking a 3-1 lead back to Rubin. Imagine that.

Remi's Tactics
When discussing Remi Garde's tactics, it's important to first note that he is not married to any one particular formation.  He has preferences, but is not afraid to change it up based on his personnel or the matchup.  For nearly a decade prior to his taking over at Lyon, the club had primarily relied upon a 4-3-3 formation that was made popular by Paul le Guen.  Upon taking over, Garde shifted the formation slightly from the 4-3-3 to a 4-4-2 diamond.  He has also shown a preference for the 4-1-4-1 formation, but generally speaking whatever tactic he has used was built around the strong play of Maxime Gonalons at the holding midfield position.

In addition to the flexibility in formation, Garde is very comfortable in using different tactics within the same formation to deal with the threats of a particular opponent.  For a more detailed view of what he does, check out this writeup from French Football Weekly in 2013.  While the African Cup of Nations will severely hamper what he might do with the Newcastle personnel, it's not hard to imagine how he might employ the players at his disposal if all players are available to him.

I'm assuming that Sissoko is sold in this January window which is why I've not got him in this squad... but if Garde can get even close to the best out of Cheik Tiote and Siem de Jong can get anywhere close to being the player who we thought we were purchasing, there's plenty to be excited about in this.  The players can easily shift into a 4-3-3 or even a 4-1-4-1 without any significant change.

Some things may not change
There may be some things that were frustrating under Alan Pardew that may continue to be challenges under Remi Garde.  Perhaps most prominently, Garde's Lyon sides have been well known for their defensive foibles.

Lyon fans might want to stop here. The individual errors leading to losses over the last three months is quite simply staggering.

While there is case that can be made that a lot of Lyon's defensive problems were tied to depending on young players, the reality is that Newcastle's defense and in particular the center backs are easy to solve on quite a regular basis.  Whether Garde's failure to address the shortcomings in the Lyon defense was a willful oversight or a managerial shortcoming will remain to be seen, but is enough to be registered as a concern on a 10,000 ft. view level prior to Garde being offered the job (if he even is).

Additionally, if you are in the camp that get really frustrated by players being deployed outside of a strict constructionist view of where they should be on the pitch by position (say Ayoze Perez on a wing in a 4-1-4-1 type situation), you may find yourself with fresh stale frustrations under this particular coach.

Ultimately
As you read through the available information about Remi Garde, it becomes easy to see why he is the favorite to take over at St. James' Park.  He is able and willing to work on a shoestring budget with minimal squad reinforcement with a heavy reliance on youth coming through the academy.  (Although it could be speculated that an anger towards such an arrangement precipitated his departure from Lyon).  He is able to motivate and draw the best from his players.  He doesn't blame the fans for cheering too forcefully.  He has the tactical nous that Alan Pardew lacked on an elemental level.  It's not a done deal at this point by any means, but he certainly ticks a lot of boxes for a lot of people.

Executive Summary: Can work on a low budget, instills a good team spirit, favours a midfield diamond but his teams can be suspect defensively. Sounds like a decent fit?
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:44 pm

Remi Garde has 117 games behind him as a manager so he's not got a huge amount of "been there, seen it and got the tee shirt" depth of experience. He has a good reputation based on three years at Lyon, but his experience is enhanced by a couple of years as Houllier's assistant, and he also worked closely with Wenger as a player, when Arsene first tried to introduce his own unique training methods at Arsenal.

That makes him an interesting prospect, but is he more of a gamble than Moyes/Rodgers?
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:52 pm

I'd say more of a gamble. Also worth pointing out that managing Lyon won't have given him much experience of a relegation battle.

Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by GadgetMan Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:56 pm

That's an interesting piece Sandie cheers. My favouritism to him or indeed other technically sound continental coaches is born out of a complete apathy with the club and the direction we've taken in the last 5 years. This is at least something different. Yes I'm perhaps guilty of wanting a little foreign flair over the tried, tested and exhausted stale british coaches. I want something we've not had before (well we had Houllier and I still believe had it not been for his illness, he would of got us moving in the right direction on and off the field) anyway I digress, I look at Garde and see him as a good fit with what we have. A continental squad and a structure that fits a head coach (not a manager per se) It's clear our group of players were not been coached correctly and I see this as an area where a continental coach and his team will be strong (just an assumption I guess) add this to the fact he's played and coached in the EPL under Wenger and I see a guy with enough experience of the EPL to not take too long to adapt. He knows Fox and our Sporting director and will be familiar with our french boys.

I get a good feeling about this guy, gut instinct and I've not had that about any of our previous appointments. So yes for me a good fit.

Let's see if the speculation is true now and we are indeed after him.
GadgetMan
GadgetMan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post by GadgetMan Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:00 pm

villabromsgrove wrote:Remi Garde has 117 games behind him as a manager so he's not got a huge amount of "been there, seen it and got the tee shirt" depth of experience. He has a good reputation based on three years at Lyon, but his experience is enhanced by a couple of years as Houllier's assistant, and he also worked closely with Wenger as a player, when Arsene first tried to introduce his own unique training methods at Arsenal.

That makes him an interesting prospect, but is he more of a gamble than Moyes/Rodgers?

He also went back and coached at Arsenal at Wenger's request. For me, if were to roll the dice, which less face it any appointment now comes with risks. I'd rather it be with someone like this than Moyes who left the UK a wreck after the mufc fiasco (for which he wasn't totally at fault) He has also underperformed with a european squad in spain, how much is left in his tank? how much have the last few years affected him, all concerns and points we can't answer. For me he's as much of a risk as the others mentioned. It's all about opinion though.
GadgetMan
GadgetMan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:05 pm

All good points. I agree that it would be nice to have something a bit different after years of moribund stagnation.
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:28 pm

I wonder if Klopp's failure to have much of an impact with the same players is increasing Rodgers' stock? Maybe making some of our fans think again about him?
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next