www.theclaretandbluearmy.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Transfer Deadline Day with CABA One thread for all discussion for the day.

+9
Kimbo
Chris Harte
avfcff1982
danclare82
GadgetMan
South London Villan
Jimmycarr
Stratfordvilla
Jim Villan
13 posters

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Transfer Deadline Day with CABA One thread for all discussion for the day.  - Page 8 Empty Re: Transfer Deadline Day with CABA One thread for all discussion for the day.

Post by villabromsgrove Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:17 pm

I think during this transfer window we practiced a more upmarket version of buying "young and hungry" that we followed when lambert was manager. That was an abject failure because we ended up with squad players who weren't good enough for the first team. There are signs that Sherwood is currently less than impressed with some of this summer's "young and talented" selection.

Other teams have bought 3 or 4 more established "stars" for higher prices, and they are sure to feature as valued first teamers.

The difference between "them" and "us" is simple .... Randy has slapped an unbreakable and derisory wage cap (for a Premier League team) on our transfer deals, which means that players like Payet, Austin, Cabaye and Shaqiri wouldn't even talk to us. I'm guessing that Lescott is being paid what would have been Vlaar's new contract wages had he re-signed. Apart from that I would think 25/30,000 pound contracts have been handed out.

As long as Lerner remains the owner of AVFC I think we will be limited by this ridiculously short sighted policy.
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Transfer Deadline Day with CABA One thread for all discussion for the day.  - Page 8 Empty Re: Transfer Deadline Day with CABA One thread for all discussion for the day.

Post by villabromsgrove Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:21 pm

I like Clark as well Sandie, and thought that he played very well at times in the last couple of seasons. He's made it hard for himself with several school boy errors this season, and it's unfortunate for him that lescott became available at the time Clark was busy drawing attention to himself for the wrong reasons.
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Kimbo Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:52 pm

Transfer Deadline Day with CABA One thread for all discussion for the day.  - Page 8 Cn1pup10
Kimbo
Kimbo
Private
Private

http://www.basementnoise.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Kimbo Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:52 pm

(That was about Adebayor. Obviously)
Kimbo
Kimbo
Private
Private

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:54 pm

Kimbo wrote:Transfer Deadline Day with CABA One thread for all discussion for the day.  - Page 8 Cn1pup10
Where on earth (or otherwise) is this "quote" from?
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:14 pm

That's utterly bizarre. Would beat Unsworth and his commute for the most bizarre deal that wasn't.

In other news, this Berahino business does not seem to reflect well on anyone: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34121198
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:15 pm

Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Kimbo Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:17 pm

Kimbo
Kimbo
Private
Private

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim Villan Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:26 pm

I think its going to be a case of the proof will be in the pudding. We have gambled in a big way this summer, Sherwood as a man and a charater doesn't strike me as someone who is scared of a gamble. Our transfer policy has put sherwood under considerable pressure as he only has Lescott as someone who has genuine top level experience in the whole squad. Sherwood cited a winning mentality as a key attribute in the players he wanted to get in. Again it is only Lescott who really comes with that mentality.

Having said that I do feel that we have built a much more balanced squad and what I mean by that is that we have a much more diverse amount of strengths and key attributes in our side/squad than last years. We now have A genuinely gifted attacking fullback (Amavi), a proven centrehalf who has bags of experience and is very strong in the Air Lescott. A truly gifted winger Traore, who has the potential to be the best signing of any team in the transfer window. A tencious box to box midfielder who can break up play effectively and contribute to attacks (Gueye) A Striker who on paper can carry just as much as an arial threat as Benteke (Guestede.)

The biggets question of all is, can we score enough goals? I think we can, but they will be spread out amongst the strikers and the midfielders, not through one as previously.

Only time will tell whether the gamble will pay off. all that we can do as fans is to do (and in the words of Hunter S Thompson) is to buy the ticket and take the ride!!
Jim Villan
Jim Villan
Private
Private

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:40 pm

Jim Villan wrote:I think its going to be a case of the proof will be in the pudding. We have gambled in a big way this summer, Sherwood as a man and a charater doesn't strike me as someone who is scared of a gamble. Our transfer policy has put sherwood under considerable pressure as he only has Lescott as someone who has genuine top level experience in the whole squad. Sherwood cited a winning mentality as a key attribute in the players he wanted to get in. Again it is only Lescott who really comes with that mentality.

Having said that I do feel that we have built a much more balanced squad and what I mean by that is that we have a much more diverse amount of strengths and key attributes in our side/squad than last years.  We now have A genuinely gifted attacking fullback (Amavi), a proven centrehalf who has bags of experience and is very strong in the Air Lescott. A truly gifted winger Traore, who has the potential to be the best signing of any team in the transfer window. A tencious box to box midfielder who can break up play effectively and contribute to attacks (Gueye) A Striker who on paper can carry just as much as an arial threat as Benteke (Guestede.)

The biggets question of all is, can we score enough goals? I think we can, but they will be spread out amongst the strikers and the midfielders, not through one as previously.

Only time will tell whether the gamble will pay off.  all that we can do as fans is to do (and in the words of Hunter S Thompson) is to buy the ticket and take the ride!!
I like your positivity JV. I'm still deflated by thoughts of what might have been if we were able to spend the right amount. Ah well, I'll come round to seeing some positives .... but not yet. UTV
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:42 pm

I think we dodged a bullet here then! Thanks for posting it Kimbo. Transfer Deadline Day with CABA One thread for all discussion for the day.  - Page 8 4288271622
villabromsgrove
villabromsgrove
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandie Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:47 pm

Going back to comments RE spending, saw this posted on Facebook:

Transfer Deadline Day with CABA One thread for all discussion for the day.  - Page 8 Spendi10

So if this is accurate, fifth for gross spend but third bottom for net spend. Doesn't mean much really, I'd back the two below us to have decent seasons! Not sure Southampton's figure includes Van Dijk though?
Sandie
Sandie
Admin and Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by GadgetMan Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:33 pm

Well I missed very little the last few hours of the window I see. I had a choice. See out the last hour or go and pick up my children, race back and watch frustratingly as we once again fail to really push on when it matters, or stay out and enjoy a lovely dinner. I chose dinner thankfully.

I come back to ponder what could of been had we added real firepower to our ranks. Now we're left to play chance we a bunch of very talented, but ultimately untried and unproven (at EPL level) players, familiar?

I'm frankly annoyed we haven't added to our excellent work with a proven (finished article) of a striker. I had it on good authority Adebayor was destined for us, had knowledge of a medical and knew he'd had his picture taken in the shirt, what I wasn't to know (or the person telling me) was we were waiting on God!! FFS!!!!

As you said VB, dodged a Bullet there. He spoke with TS several times and assured him he wanted to come to villa if he could secure his release from Spurs, no mention of God in those little promises.

Anyway screw EA, it's Randy I'm most pissed off at. 4 to 8m net spend (depending on your source) yes 4 to 8m you read it right.

We're an EPL team that has just about avoided relegation for 4 years, has seen its best two players leave and its owner f**k up the sale of the club for two years straight (some might argue, rather calculatingly) well Randy, 4 to 8m doesn't even come close to cutting it pal. If this risk by Sherwood doesn't pay off, we could be back down at the bottom end again with no real fire power to save us. Negligent, but then we know that of you as an owner now.

All you had to do was release a chunk of the extra sponsorship money, the TV money, some of Fox's astronomical salary and we could of had a top striker and a really good chance of pushing on. Too much though eh?! Thanks Randy, thanks a bunch!!!

Rant over Transfer Deadline Day with CABA One thread for all discussion for the day.  - Page 8 2182316234 Transfer Deadline Day with CABA One thread for all discussion for the day.  - Page 8 2182316234 Transfer Deadline Day with CABA One thread for all discussion for the day.  - Page 8 2182316234
GadgetMan
GadgetMan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post by Morddred Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:16 pm

It is truly horrendous the way randy has fucked the club up. He is surly one piss poor owner with no ambition other than bumbling along hoping to spend as little as possible to protect his investment.
Morddred
Morddred
Private
Private

Back to top Go down

Post by South London Villan Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:58 pm

Can't change things now, tis what it is.

Objectively the defence should be stronger, in turn I hope that means we concede less, stop giving away fouls and posession in dangerous positions. There should also be decent strength in depth at the back (as Clark is accumulating yellow cards at a rate so proloific I wish our forwards would score at such a rate) we are bound to need cover for suspensions, injuries etc.
The midfield is looking strong and they should be able to chip in with some goals, Traore, Grealish, Gana, Veretout, Gil should get 5 goals each. Joe Cole not everyones cup of tea but I can't fault his contribution so far, will also help blood the new and young lads.
Ayew will score, I hope he works on his understanding with his felliw forwards, Sinclair definitely has goals in him, Rudy a few headers set pieces, Kozak give him a chance. Gabby give him a kick up the arse and grt him working on his finishing 8 hours a day.

All in all we are looking better than last season, would Snake get in to the team?
South London Villan
South London Villan
Private
Private

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next